Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Inside Dual Wheel valve extensions, What does everyone use?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dJohn

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star 3414
RV Length
35 ft
Chassis
Ford F-53
Engine
Ford Godzilla V-8
TOW/TOAD
None at this point
Fulltimer
No
Hi, have a Newmar 3414, what do you use for valve extensions on your inside dual rims? Ours has a extension but it is at an angle that makes it useless in my opinion. Was thinking of going to a braided extension that either clips to the outside rim or I have seen ones that have a support that rivets to the hubcap. Suggestions?

Went to a truck tire shop and got steel extensions.

The best solution is to have steel valve stems (rather than extensions) installed by a tire shop. Do a search for Dually valve stems or check this link:

TJ

I’ve spent HOURS at two shops, only to find that they just can’t seem to find the right stem for my rig.

BUT…the consensus is that EXTENSIONS always are a problem, no matter what the type, grommet or not, etc.

They also don’t like the braided lines since they, too, will leak eventually.

Soooo, they encouraged me to trust the TPMS sensors which are now mounted directly to the stubby stem. I have the right air-fill adapter which is designed to reach the inside duals, even if they’re faced the other way.

And YES, they (the inside duals) are a total PAIN IN THE BUTT to take the sensors off, but since they don’t leak now…all is good.

Last edited:
An earlier post, same topic...

I switched from the metal stems to Stainless-steel-wrapped hoses. The issue I had with the metal stems was keeping the rubber insert in place. The rubber insert would come out and then the metal stem would vibrate against the rim. I ended up with wear marks in both the rim and metal stem. I tried replacing with new rubber inserts but they did not stay in place. Here's what I am using

Stainless Steel wrapped hoses

Here's a picture of the installed hose. I only used the hoses to connect the inside tire. You can also see the TPMS mounted at the end of the hose. No more rubbing between the hose and the rim :)

IMG_3270.jpg

I switched from the metal stems to Stainless-steel-wrapped hoses. The issue I had with the metal stems was keeping the rubber insert in place. The rubber insert would come out and then the metal stem would vibrate against the rim. I ended up with wear marks in both the rim and metal stem. I tried replacing with new rubber inserts but they did not stay in place. Here's what I am using

Stainless Steel wrapped hoses

Here's a picture of the installed hose. I only used the hoses to connect the inside tire. You can also see the TPMS mounted at the end of the hose. No more rubbing between the hose and the rim :)

View attachment 6956
This is what I was thinking about, did you install yourself?

This is what I was thinking about, did you install yourself?
Yes, I did install myself. Hardest part was attaching the mount on the hub cap. Removed the cap, drilled a hole, and then installed with rivets that came with the kit. Turned out to be relatively easy.

Latest resources

Back