• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Inverter

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
They do make 12 V CPAP machines. These might be more efficient.
Bob
THIS! I have a Phillips Dreamstation, and "found" a 12 volt power cord for it on Amazon. I did have to wire in a 12 volt port on my Jayco TT, (which has been replaced with a Coachmen 5er), and it works quite nicely. I also have a 2000w Harbor Freight modified sine inverter that is enough to run a residential, 120v Mr. Coffee machine. I usually fire up the (900w) generator for that, though, as I don't care for dragging my battery bank down that much. (BTW; A Mr. Coffee claims it needs 900w, and I can attest that my little generator does run it through a full cycle.) (Also, my generator is the earlier Coleman version of the Harbor Freight "Tailgator" generator. The green 2-cycle one.)

Roger

Folks need to understand that RV's will have limits to the amount of power one can expect to use. A 30-amp service will provide 3600 watts total. A 50-amp service will provide 12,000 watts total. To use an inverter, i.e. the box that converts 12 VDC to 120 VAC, one needs to anticipate how much power in watts will be needed to be supplied from the inverter.

The power for the inverter comes from the system batteries. A 2000-watt inverter at full load will pull about 200 amps from the battery system. And with no load, about 2.5 amps while idle. A typical wet cell battery can be safely discharged 50% so a 100 aH battery has about 50 aH of power available. One also must look at the maximum power/current that can be pulled at a given time from the battery.

If one expects to run the microwave expect about 700 to 1200 watts needed. The refrigerator on AC at about 250 watts. The water heater on electric about 1200 watts. A hairdryer is about 800 to 1200 watts.

I keep using the term "power management". That means just because one has the appliances and outlets installed is NO INDICATION they can be used simultaneously or used at all when on inverter power. Doesn't make any difference if it is a $10,000 unit or a $1,000,000 unit. There are limits and one needs to learn and understand how to utilize the power available according to the limits of the systems. I say systems plural because there is the 120-volt AC system, the 12-volt DC battery system, a generator system, and in many cases a solar system

Bob

Latest resources

Back