Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you might consider a sticky note without a reply option as a place keeper of what you are currently using. You can update as new things evolve. Plain a simple, no narrative. As they said on Dragnet “Just the facts sir, just the facts”.

What I am currently using for primary:

Pepwave BR1 MK2 LTE-A Router

Panorama 5-in-1 antenna

Panorama Low Profile LTE/GPS/WiFi Dome Antenna

These are picks as of Nov 2018!!! As of this writing Jan 2020 I have no need to upgrade anything, it works well.

You can go as simple as a hotspot device such as a Verizon MiFi 8800L which works well depending on the plan. Plans are even harder than the dang hardware choices.
Nice summary Neal.
I have the Verizon MiFi which is fine until you hit the data cap and then you really notice a difference even though we have an unlimited data plan with Verizon. We don’t full time but I would like to find a data plan that has a compatible sim for the mifi that would allow us to use the internet for work, browsing and stream tv so we can get away from satellite tv. It’s out there but not without challenges and costs. @CaptainGizmo @redbaron and @turbopilot have posted about plan options and how to do it.

Last edited:
The "unlimited" plans by cellular companies are criminal. It simply means they'll never block usage, they'll just slow you down to a crawl after your data cap is reached. We all know this, so we shouldn't get suckered into unlimited plans as there are very few out there that are truly unlimited. Mobile Internet Resource Center - Mobile Internet Resource Center does a good job with keeping up with plans coming and going but they do charge a subscription fee annually for the info. You can subscribe to their youtube channel which doesn't require a subscription and keeps you in the know as well.

It seems and I could be wrong is they don't necessarily throttle or cap if you are using your phone or Ipad etc but once the Mifi came into our plan early last year, they made a big deal about the cap on the mifi only. For obvious reasons. Again, I have no way to prove it as I have never experienced the slow down on the other devices except for the mifi.

Here is good laugh....when we had the power outages, and DW was trying to run her company on the mifi because comcast was down, they hit the cap very quickly and when we called Verizon, they felt they were incredibly "generous" by giving us another 5 GB at no charge to help customers impacted by the outages. Go figure.

The last day to sign up for the TOGO is 15 Jan 2020 and it can't be renewed so yep not good deal anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back