RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
A little seen nor heard item is your smoke detector(s). On my 2017 unit, I had the periodic chirp, alerting me to a low battery. I changed the battery in both units. A few weeks later, I noticed that the little red light that flashes to indicate "all is well and operational" was not flashing. Upon further investigation, the new battery measured low voltage, so I thought I got a bad battery and I bought more and put them in. The detectors lighted properly and pressing the test button, they sounded off as they should. Cool, good for another year...or so I thought. Another few weeks went by and I again noticed no flashing red light for "all is good". OK, that's enough. Time to replace both units, entirely. Big box here I come...

Check your detectors for proper operation. As with most RV components, the OEM purchases by low dollar point. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Edit...
Upon further investigation, I find that the unit in the bedroom ceiling is a CO (carbon monoxide) detector. CO detectors have a finite life and this one is there. I'll change the $3 smoke detector that is up front also.

Another edit...
OK, I shoulda investigated first and posted after. What I've found out is not confusing at all (facetiously).
Test button on CO detector 3 beeps = replace unit (malfunction), 4 beeps = OK, 5 beeps = replace unit (reached end of life).
Test button on the smoke detector, 3 beeps = OK.

According to the manual, the smoke detector is "RV approved".

Last edited:
I've heard stories too of new RV owners having plastic tabs still in their smoke detectors awaiting battery activation. Moral is as @RandyB points out, check your detectors. I'm far more comforted with my Nest detectors than the cheap ones Newmar installed. I added two to the basement in addition to the two in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GF3Z5KK/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest resources

Back