Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Just getting started - how to not get discouraged?!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TK & Em

RVF Regular
Hi everyone! Just starting to shop for our RV (5ht wheel, 2 adults, no pets) for next year's retirement plan (part time to start with!) Currently living in MN tho that may change later.
We are feeling a little discouraged today. I have done A LOT of reading about how certain rv manufacturers were better and some we should stay away from. So yesterday we went to about a half dozen dealer lots to walk thru some to see what we liked...found 2 we liked the layout and coloring, so we got home and looked up reviews only to see most gave a rating of 3 out of ten for the overall quality of that rig. We don't want to waste whole days of driving around looking only to learn we should have ignored those too (we avoided keystone and anything made by thor since we read many places that their quality was not so good.)
So how do we narrow down our search if the articles about who is good and who is bad seem to contradict themselves?
Also, we do not plan on buying new, but want to see some layouts and details to settle on a brand and size.
Any advise would be so appreciated so we don't give up before we start! What brands are consistently better and which are consistently not? Or does each brand have a basic model that's not great but mid and upper level models that are better?
I'm back to feeling overwhelmed after thinking I had done so much research...
Help! ?

Last edited:
Welcome to RVForums @TK & Em. Take a deep breath and just go see what you want to see with no obligation to buy. The floor plan is most important as that's your living space. Every RV is going to need work, yours and professional at some point, rolling earthquakes are hard on a house. After you see everything something is likely to "wow" you and that's what you should consider. It's a daunting process, I ordered mine and didn't sleep for 3 months! Whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy and if not you can always get something else. Many around here seem to have owned on average 3 RV's. Take your time...enjoy the experience, it is great. Welcome!

Hi @TK & Em welcome. Some people have enjoyed RVs that have a reputation that is less than favorable. Others have trouble and complaints about top of the line coaches. It is more about what your tolerances to quality issues that bring in the reviews. Rough edges, trim problems, furniture problems, carpet problems, just questionable attention to detail. Some accept the quality as it is others find such things unacceptable. For me safety issues like electrical issues that have seen smoke are big to me. Leaks because construction methods are big. I don't want to sit along side a road waiting for chassis repair, or a tow. I don't like complex systems that rival an industrial complex, but many require/demand it.

The Internet is great, but with it comes information that never would have caused great concern before, it leaves many searching if they have the same issues that they never knew they had before the forum they belong to had the problem abuzz on it.
Find an RV that is just right for you. Read the reviews and see if any of them really are serious of if a bandage will cover a hole.

I walked through a retro trailer last season. The dinette seat had uneven seams. Looking at that on a regular basis would drive me crazy, others don't even notice. If all else looked good I would buy a throw to cover the issue. Screws through wiring would make me run the other way.

Just my $.04 worth, buy what you can be happy with, no ones opinion counts but yours.

You can't believe half of what you read on ANY kind of forum no matter what the topic. ;) There are know-it-alls in every group that will tell you every brand (except the one they own) is junk. Then there are the people that don't know how to do the most simple repairs so every time the smallest thing needs fixing or maintaining they get on the forum and complain about what a piece of junk brand XYZ is. The same thing may not bother me a bit and to me would be considered par for the course with ANY mechanical device.

All that being said, you usually get what you pay for. Bargains can be had in the used market if you catch the right buyer in the right situation (like I did) and this lets you buy under market value so it leaves you money to fix or repair or replace anything you don't like about the RV. My advice? Don't be in a hurry. Keep looking. Eventually you'll find a brand or a model that you think suits your fancy. Floor plan is THE most important thing. It's the hardest and most expensive thing to change! Then once you know which one you want, you can start your Nation wide search for the best deal. I flew from Chattanooga, TN to Dallas TX. to buy mine. It only cost $109.00. The widow picked me up at the airport and after my inspection I drove it home. DO NOT pay for the RV until you see it in person. Many people have been burned. There are lots of scammers out there and dishonest people as well.

Good luck!! Come back and let us see some pictures of what you bought. :)(y)

Welcome to RVF, @TK & Em; glad you are here. And, please don't get discouraged.

I second the comments posted by others above. "Floor plan" should be your first criteria. Then, use your own eyes to evaluate the quality of a unit. If the fit and finish of a specific RV doesn't seem good to you, move on; it probably isn't any better in unseen areas. And, I fully agree with the thought that "you get what you pay for."

Can you tell us what type of RV you are looking for? Motorhone, travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc.? That would help us point you in the right direction.

Now, as to internet reviews, I don't give them much credence as what they really portray is someone's opinion. One person may love or hate a particular product for a very insignificant reason. You can improve your assessment a little by looking at several different reviews and throwing out the high and low cores, focusing on the comments offered in the middle.

Good luck on your search. If you can provide a bit more detail regarding what you are looking for, along with a general idea of your budget, we'll do our best to provide our best thoughts.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @TK & Em; glad you are here. And, please don't get discouraged.

I second the comments posted by others above. "Floor plan" should be your first criteria. Then, use your own eyes to evaluate the quality of a unit. If the fit and finish of a specific RV doesn't seem good to you, move on; it probably isn't any better in unseen areas. And, I fully agree with the thought that "you get what you pay for."

Can you tell us what type of RV you are looking for? Motorhone, travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc.? That would help us point you in the right direction.

Now, as to internet reviews, I don't give them much credence as what they really portray is someone's opinion. One person may love or hate a particular product for a very insignificant reason. You can improve your assessment a little by looking at several different reviews and throwing out the high and low cores, focusing on the comments offered in the middle.

Good luck on your search. If you can provide a bit more detail regarding what you are looking for, along with a general idea of your budget, we'll do our best to provide our best thoughts.

TJ
Thanks - I did edit the post above - thanks for that suggestion - we're looking at 5th wheels, no set budget yet, but not the high end ones - more mid range - we like grand design reflections (and of course love the solitude, but trying not to overspend the first time around!!) or FR Artic Wolf and a few others like those - we haven't toured keystones or coachmen yet, nor winnebegos, but been checking out floor plans. We wish we could see all floor plans for all brands in one place - we did find one website that had a lot of them, but not sure it's really all of them! We'll keep looking while weather cooperates, and then switch to online over the winter! thanks again!

We wish we could see all floor plans for all brands in one place - we did find one website that had a lot of them, but not sure it's really all of them! We'll keep looking while weather cooperates, and then switch to online over the winter! thanks again!
Have you ever been to a National RV Show? :oops: :oops: :oops: Every make and model under the sun in one place!!! It's a bit overwhelming the first time you go to one. It's like drinking from a fire hose!! I suggest you find one and go to it. But DON'T take your check book with you the first time. The sales people there are professionals at closing the sale and you'll be taking one home if you're not careful. :LOL: If you are located anywhere in the Southeast you should go to the FMCA National show in Perry GA in the Spring. If you can't find it there then you ain't looking hard enough!

Have you ever been to a National RV Show? :oops: :oops: :oops: Every make and model under the sun in one place!!! It's a bit overwhelming the first time you go to one. It's like drinking from a fire hose!! I suggest you find one and go to it. But DON'T take your check book with you the first time. The sales people there are professionals at closing the sale and you'll be taking one home if you're not careful. :LOL: If you are located anywhere in the Southeast you should go to the FMCA National show in Perry GA in the Spring. If you can't find it there then you ain't looking hard enough!
we would love to go to an rv show, but we are in MN and our show is indoors in February and will most likely be canceled this year unless they figure out how to sanitize the air every 3 minutes from people walking in and out of them all! rofl...that won’t happen! so we are trying to do as much as we can before it gets too cold, but rv lots are thin on stock now of course! but we are doing what we can! wish we lived where we could attend an outdoor rv show!

@TK & Em Looks like the Tampa "Super Show" is still a go for Jan 2021. Held at the state fair grounds in Tampa. I've attended the past two years. Tons of RV's of every kind, most outdoors.

i will still be working until about march 1st...not sure i can fit in a trip to tampa from minneapolis...cuz i am NOT flying anytime soon! but we will keep our eyes open. we may have to do more of our shopping in the spring...not much to go look at right now! thanks for the info...we will ponder it!!

Latest resources

Back