Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Just starting out: tow a trailer, or get a Class B/C?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

letsgosomewhere

RVF Regular
There's so many decisions to make! Our first one is should we get a trailer - which means we'd also have to get a vehicle that could tow it - or buy something drivable, like a Class B or C? Thanks!

Welcome to RVForums @letsgosomewhere. I suggest taking a look and see what floor plans strike you first as the living space is what's more important and that may help guide you. I've heard those that like to stay in one place for months on end prefer a travel trailer so the engine and components are sitting unused for a long period of time. Just have to go through the variables and what money you want to put into this lifestyle.

Another consideration is what you like to do when you get to your destination, sit and relax or go see the surrounding area? Getting a class B will restrict your mode of travel once at your destination, as trailer you can use your tow vehicle. Class C you can pull a toad providing a means of travel to sightsee without breaking up camp.

Glad to have you join the forum and look forward to hearing what you decide on.

Welcome to RVF, @letsgosomewhere; glad to have you here. Good advice offered by the posters above; determine the floor plan based on the type of RVing you plan to do. Once you settle on that, the right RV for you will become easier to select.

TJ

Some say rent the above models and take a trip in each.
the question I have is how will you use it. Full-time, weekend, or adventure once or twice a year.

Full time likely extended stays will dominate. Motor homes without toads present parking problems as you try to get your business done in town. Your old to you economy car can function as it always has, transported flat, car dolly, or car trailer.

A pull trailer is able to be pulled by a large SUV safely. If the SUV/truck breaks the pull trailer can still be inhabited in an RV park.

A fifth wheel must have truck to travel! capacity of truck should be atleast 20percent of gvw of the rigg as that is tong weight. New fifths are not light weight, a 3/4 ton truck is the smallest to tow newer fifths. 1/2 to 3/4 see a big jump in price.

Both pull and fifth trailers make good full time riggs. Motor Homes have a floor plan problem called the driver station, at least 5ft is lost to this feature and still needs daily cleaning attention.

if you travel, many coastal towns have no accommodations for parking motorhomes while you visit the rich culture found in them. A toad is then needed to get the most out of your travel. Parking trucks is also a problem for trailer haulers, but much better than Motor home without toad.

I know people with RV's that use motels because they save the money on the motel in gas.

Weekenders/ campers find it more comfortable in any of the above options than setting up and staying in a tent.

I'm in the process of deciding on an RV too and here are some important things to consider:
- Class B is probably the safest but also the most expensive per square foot, also might be the hardest to resell later
- Class C is pretty dangerous but can be very convenient
-Travel Trailers really run the gamut on size and features but you can probably find the cheapest option with a trailer. Of course towing adds its own complications

We first considered a Class C because that's what I've rented before and enjoyed it, thought it would be the most convenient. But when we started looking it just seemed like it was too dangerous and not a good value. For us, it's a big investment. So for safety reasons and trying to get a better value we decided to consider travel trailers. A trailer will be much less risk for us.

Our current travel style is timeshares and hotels. We will keep that for city or small town traveling. (And just FYI - timeshares bought resale are MUCH cheaper than buying an RV). But to really do the National Parks right, state parks, other wilderness areas then we feel an RV suits us. None of us want to tent camp. But trailer camping with hot showers and microwaves etc is right up our pampered alley.

Latest resources

Back