Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
This just started.
As the slide extends it stops about 3-4” from being fully extended and makes a sound for a couple of seconds as if the cogs are not engaging in the holes. If I let go of the switch and then push extend again the slide will continue to fully extend. Then, if I close the slide it comes in just fine until it’s almost closed and then emits a loud bam sound and closes fully. The slide does move evenly when moving in or out. I’m totally confused as to what might cause this strange operation as the slide has operated perfectly for many years.

Check slide motor(s). Make sure both forward and aft under plates are secure where the cog wheel feeds across the holes. Last thought would be something with the tran-torque bushing? Slides always give me a bad feeling in the gut, waiting for something bad to happen.

Check the set screws on the cog wheels when the slide in fully in. If the set screws are not tight it will make the exact noise you describe, mine did. Also check the torque bushing they will loosen up over time.

IMG_5784.jpeg
IMG_5782.jpeg
My kitchen slide has two identical motors and cog wheels that are about 1/4 the way in from each end of the slide. They are not connected to each other so there is no touque bushings involved . Everything appears to be tight including the plates attached to the bottom of the slide where the cog wheel travels. Any ideas as to what I might next look for?

Have someone run the slides while someone is below listening/monitoring.

Do you have anything stored above the chassis rail that's getting snagged?

It has been suggested to me that one of my motor/gearboxes has gone bad with a partially stripped gear. Kinda makes sense I guess but how do you figure out which one?

As a follow up to my kitchen electric slide problems, I have ordered two new motors/gearboxes from Newmar. $2640 + freight as I need them asap. After discussing the situation with several owners who have had this problem I decided to change out both motors and keep the good old one as a spare. The job looks pretty straightforward (I hope). I’ll post pictures if it works out or a picture of me seriously drinking if it doesn’t.🍷🤪

Received my two new motor/gearboxes from Newmar this morning about 10:30. Darn good service from Newmar Parts as it should be for what they charge. Took about 31/2 hours to change out both of my PS kitchen slide motors. Turns out the front gearbox had a broken gear. Amazing how this one tooth could cause the tremendous noise and malfunction of the slide. Very straightforward job with some advice from fellow DS owners. Wonderful to have these resources available and I will be happy to share what I’ve learned if you are unfortunate enough to have a similar problem.
Reprogramming the controller does really require 2 people as you move the slide from the controller which, in my case, is mounted to the ceiling of a compartment a couple of feet in. You can’t see the position of the slide as you are moving it. Other than that the programming is pretty easy.
IMG_5818.jpeg
IMG_5816.jpeg
IMG_5812.jpeg
IMG_5810.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 15
Glad to hear you got it fixed. You could remove the controller from the ceiling to make it easier to work with for anyone having to do this as Newmar did with mine.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back