RV Model
UltraLite Signature Series 8289WS
RV Length
32'
TOW/TOAD
2014 RAM CTD 4WD Crew Cab longbed
Fulltimer
No
I just have to tell you guys about this 'cause I've never seen it happen. We were at Lakeview COE park for a week. The park was maybe 10-15% full. Our friends showed up around 10:30 a.m. with reservations to start that day. They went in and the Camp Snoop (Host) told them they can't check in 'til 3:00 p.m. The loop they had reservations in was completely empty. Not a soul there. Nobody in their reserved site. They politely asked why. No reason given. They asked why again. The Camp Snoop got mad and called the head Ranger. He drove out from town and basically told them rules are rules. Check in at 3. Period. Now I don't know about you guys, but several times we've arrived at a campground a little early, and if it's empty, we pull in and set up. Never ever had anybody say anything anywhere. And a few times we've known people were a little early for our site, we tried to get packed up a little quicker. No hurry, just trying to be polite. Another thing about this campground- the sites were dirty and trashy. It looks like maybe the Snoops blow off all the trash just to the edge of the campsite and don't pick it up. I guess that's what they do. They don't do anything else. And another thing about this campground- they have at least a half dozen or more 50 amp full hook-up sites that they will not rent out. They say it's for "volunteers". We've been going there for 20+ years, and never ever have seen a volunteer there. These beautiful campsites sit dormant. Except for a couple pf times we've seen people camped in 1 or 2 of the spots who were friends of the Snoop. So, the point being- why are these people harrassing campers over some rule that no campground has ever enforced if the site is empty?!? And why can't we rent a full-hookup site there? There answer is B.S. I guess maybe I need to write the local COE commander and get some answers.

My hunch is it's a moderator from another RV forum.

Possible reasons:

Simple minds in a position of power.

People with nothing to make themselves feel important but the few rules they have the authority to enforce.

Issues or occurrences, perhaps recent, that have necessated ( according to mgmt) the enforcement of these rules.

On the flip side Ive seen camp hosts cleaning up a clean looking campground. Perhaps out of boredom, but doing a very nice job and quite friendly. I’ve also run into camp hosts completely indifferent with the CG turning in to a dump.

Takes all kinds but Ive always found COE CGs clean and minimally regulated, populated mainly by sporting types who tend to conduct themselves in a manner requiring no management. Hopefully this situation is just an exception and not the beginning of a trend.

It's probably someone on a power trip. I wish I had those orange safety belts from high school bus safety's to hand out :) I had one campground I arrived early, unknowingly, and they made me wait as they had to inspect ALL sites prior to allowing any inbounds in. I was in the wrong showing up before published check-in time.

I also admit it does bother me at times seeing people show up grossly early. They are being selfish, willingly, I believe, arriving when they feel like it instead of following the rules which are typically for a flow. For example seeing someone arrive at 11 AM when the typical 1 PM is published for arrivals. Some state parks are 4 PM check-in, not sure why, and yeah, I arrived early on that one.

One campground we were going to when on a RV travel company caravan was very clear, show up early you will wait outside the campground property so we knew prior to arrival not to show up early.

It gets abused, I get it, I try to follow the rules. Those that abuse it are in the wrong. Some campgrounds, MOST campgrounds are nice about it and if your site is available will let you in. I typically call first and tell them I'm only an hour away, 11 AM checkout, can I arrive early? I'd offer don't put yourself or the campground in the position to deal with being outside of the published rules.

Well said Neal. To be fair, my friends did arrive quite a bit early, and they do know the rules. And were perfectly willing to wait. But they-and us- have been going here for years. Except on holiday weekends, even during peak summer time, VERY seldom more than 50% full. When we do get lucky enough to get there a little early, (we happen to live about 15 miles away) we've never been harrassed about setting up. I'll also add that these current Camp Hosts have only been there since last year. The previous guy- Steve- was great to work with. A lot of people quit going here when they took over; I don't know why though.

Once we arrived 15 min (no kidding) early. They did not say anything, and let us in.
There was $15 or $20 extra “early arrival” charge on our bill.

If that wasn't so ridiculous, I'd be laughing. So what if you dispute it or don't pay it- does it go on your credit report? I think you guys are right. It's some kind of power thing.

over some rule that no campground has ever enforced if the site is empty?!?
Here's why, in our case anyway.

We have an 11:00 am check out and a 1:00 check in. The roads coming in/out of our campground are fairly thin in areas and if two RV's were to meet at the entrance/exit at the same time, it would get congested. Everyone prefers not to be in that situation.

The small window we have between check in/check out, give us 2 hours to mow and edge lawns, water everything, and make sure all the sinks, countertops and refrigerators/ice makers have been cleaned.

It's a whole lot of work to be done in a very small window. If we have one guest that decides to leave at 12:00 instead, that tightens the window ever more. And when a guest shows up early, well we run the risk of not having their site ready, and then it becomes a potential bad review because the site was dirty.

Very few visitors realize the amount of work that goes into making sure their site is clean and their stay is a fun, safe and enjoyable experience. When the guests show up in the middle of the preparation, well, it can get complicated.

All this being said, if we have the sites ready, and someone shows up early, I see no reason to upset his/her visit by making them wait simply because of a rule that was designed to fulfill a purpose that has already been fulfilled.

And believe me, we really appreciate it when a guest calls and asks for permission before showing up early. The thoughtfulness goes a long ways with us, and we try to accommodate them by making sure their site gets first attention.

:) :) :)

Here's why, in our case anyway.

We have an 11:00 am check out and a 1:00 check in. The roads coming in/out of our campground are fairly thin in areas and if two RV's were to meet at the entrance/exit at the same time, it would get congested. Everyone prefers not to be in that situation.

The small window we have between check in/check out, give us 2 hours to mow and edge lawns, water everything, and make sure all the sinks, countertops and refrigerators/ice makers have been cleaned.

It's a whole lot of work to be done in a very small window. If we have one guest that decides to leave at 12:00 instead, that tightens the window ever more. And when a guest shows up early, well we run the risk of not having their site ready, and then it becomes a potential bad review because the site was dirty.

Very few visitors realize the amount of work that goes into making sure that their stay is a fun, safe and enjoyable experience. When the guests show up in the middle of the preparation, well, it can get complicated.

All this being said, if we have the sites ready, and someone shows up early, I see no reason to upset his/her visit by making them wait simply because of a rule that was designed to fulfill a purpose that has already been fulfilled.

And believe me, we really appreciate it when a guest calls and asks for permission before showing up early. The thoughtfulness goes a long ways with us, and we try to accommodate them by making sure their site gets first attention.

:) :) :)
Again- totally agree. But if the campground is basically empty, all site prep supposedly done, there's no reason not to release the site. And we all try to arrive near the time we're supposed too; sometimes it's hard when you've been on the road for hours. And I think you're wrong about most people not knowing what a Camp Host does. We ALL know and appreciate what work it takes to keep up a campground, and we all will call them out when
we think they're not doing their job correctly or harrassing campers for petty things.

And I think you're wrong about most people not knowing what a Camp Host does. We ALL know and appreciate what work it takes to keep up a campground, and we all will call them out when
we think they're not doing their job correctly or harrassing campers for petty things.
Yeah, sounds like they could step up their game a bit, doesn't it?

Latest resources

Back