Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
On the DutchStar we typically just fill up Fresh Water tank and disconnect the pedestal water line. This time we left the city water connected and on but turned off autofill to stop flow.
Does anyone have a recommendation on this practice?
We plan on filling the fresh water tank prior to departure.

What I do is leave pedestal on and limit it to 30psi. This is far below the pressure for the pump, allowing the house pump to use the fresh tank. when the tank gets low, the autofill kicks in and fills the tank again. Keeps the fresh water cycled and one less thing to worry about.

Joe I would suggest being aware of how much a full tank of water adds to the coach while traveling and whether it put you overweight or not. For me I never travel with more than 1/2 tank because of the weight issue. It might be different for a DSDP and all is good. A gallon of fresh water weighs about 8.345 lbs.

We travel light so weight is not an issue. The DS is not close to weight limit. We typically dump black and grey water prior to departure if able just for convenience.

We keep it full while parked, travel with about 1/2 tank.

Change the tank water out monthly and prior to the swap we use tank water to run it down.

Other than that we run off city water and the full tank is “just in case” city goes away.

we always turn the CW off after the tank is full

On the DutchStar we typically just fill up Fresh Water tank and disconnect the pedestal water line. This time we left the city water connected and on but turned off autofill to stop flow.
Does anyone have a recommendation on this practice?
We plan on filling the fresh water tank prior to departure.
We normally travel with the fresh at 1/2 tank but empty the grey and blacks if they are over 1/2 full before leaving. I don't think we get a good flush when they are below 1/2.

Darrell

I live fulltime in my bus. I leave my insulated, heated water hose hooked up 24/7/365. The water goes thru my filter then into a fresh holding tank on an autofill valve. I only turn it off if we are having water problems at the park OR we leave for more than one night. And I have traveled in the bus on a full tank. But my converted bus (with full water tank, empty grey/black tanks) weighs about half of what the bus chassis/shell is rated for.

The truck camper is never hooked up to "city water". It's rarely hooked up to electric. We fill the fresh water tank and bleach it upon the first fill and every so often until the tank is almost empty, at which point it's filled & bleached again. We don't ingest the water either. It's for washing dishes, washing hands, bathing, the toilet and bidet. We only drink/cook/brush teeth with RO water. The dog only drinks RO water.

Latest resources

Back