Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Okay folks, I want the bestest LED flashlight out there. Walking a dog I want no surprises. Something rechargeable would be ideal. Here's my credit card. Ready set go!

I have a few different ones...but for dog walking, you can’t beat this...

Can be used as a flashlight or headlamp, super bright. Uses 18650 batteries, very common size for flashlights. Batteries charge outside of the flashlight.

These are the batteries I like:

And the charger...

This charger can also be used for most any size rechargeable lithium batteries...

My wife has this one...uses 3 x 18650’s, and can blind someone in the next state; it could also be used as a weapon. ?

you can also get a plug in charger for the sunwayman

Last edited:
I'm pretty "old school" when it comes to flashlights. Rechargeable is great...until you find it dead. Recharging takes too long. With a D-cell (or AA/AAA) model, you just toss in a couple of new batteries and you are good to go. Here's what we carry in our coach.

MagLight (2 D-cell model with LED lamp):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XT5616/?tag=rvf01-20

Petzl Tikka XP headlamp. (Can use alkaline or rechargeable AAA batteries, LED lamp)

Amazon.com: Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp Lighting Orange: Sports & Outdoors

For things I use in potential emergency situations, I like the "simple is best" approach. BTW, the MagLite also provides a secondary emergency use as an effective baton if you get surprised.

TJ

Last edited:
I use a small Intova scuba diving LED flashlight - super bright, waterproof, anodized aluminum but it's not rechargeable. It uses CR123A batteries which seem to last a year.
Tovatec IFL 660-R Torch, 430 Lumens Light

When camping with the boys when they were young finding a flashlight that had any usable light left was a challenge. Boys decided they would repay me now that they are older and got me a Streamlight Pro-Tac which is rechargeable. 30 hours use, bright, waterproof, drop proof and anodized aluminum. Great light

TK20R Tactical Rechargeable Light

Blinding bright - self defense

Expensive, and it's your money I'm spending!

You're welcome.

Manufacturers claims, especially on non regulated specs, in my opinion have proven to be suspect. On Amazon there are a wide variety of claims of Lumen output.

We have used Streamlight products over the years and have been pleased. If you get a very bright flashlight be sure that the output is adjustable. The very bright settings are useless for general purposes.

I have a few different Streamlight flashlights, a ProTac X for distance, or Self defense, and a smaller carry pocket model for general purposes.

Regarding rechargeable vs non- rechargeable, you will want to understand the various battery chemistries to get the best for your application. A good source of info I found is Secondary (Rechargeable) Batteries – Battery University

After many tries with rechargeable batteries, we end up using standard Amazon Basic primary cells and carry spares. Just easier and more reliable.

What is the highest lumen flashlight anyone can find?

2400 lumens... but remember, that’s only for a very short period of time, for 2 reasons. 1) battery life 2) heat. If I use my 900 lumen Sunwayman for longer than 10-15 minutes, the light-end will burn you. Not sure why you’d need more lumens, unless you’re in search & rescue.

@JoeHogan , I agree with you totally about the rechargeable AA & AAA’s...but the 18650’s are superb...

Flashlights are a rabbit hole...there are entire forums on brands, batteries, LED technologies, cool vs. warm, spot vs. flood, etc. Makes the Freightliner vs Spartan debate look tame.

Latest resources

Back