• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Li-BIM vs. DC-DC charger?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Heading to solar energy in two weeks. Considering Li. Four 330’s. Wow! Will be discussing all of the possibilities with them. Hope I understand it all well enough to articulate.
We are there starting on the 10th. Is that your schedule?

Another point of interest on this topic is for those new to LiFePO4 to remember it can take a much higher charge rate, up to 300A I believe. So you can't put the 50A in your head like non Li batts. Granted, you have to keep in mind wiring and other components, but the charge rate is something to be aware of that can benefit you.

Another point of interest on this topic is for those new to LiFePO4 to remember it can take a much higher charge rate, up to 300A I believe. So you can't put the 50A in your head like non Li batts. Granted, you have to keep in mind wiring and other components, but the charge rate is something to be aware of that can benefit you.
Not sure what that means, since the coach is limited to 50A and mine 42A on thegenerator. Or am I missing something.

Not sure what that means, since the coach is limited to 50A and mine 42A on thegenerator. Or am I missing something.
What it means is without a method to regulate the current, a li battery acts like a dead short!

"Our "drop in" replacement battery is unlike any other on the market. The automatic BMS system offers 10 different protection modes including, over and under voltage, over and under temperature, over current, short circuit, fault events and more. We have specially designed the BMS for RV and Marine use where there are multiple charge sources with different charge profiles and voltages. Our battery can be charged directly from ANY PV solar controller, ANY inverter/charger and with properly sized wiring, ANY alternator can be used without the need for a special regulator or DC-DC converter. You do not need a special "Lithium" capable charger. Some multi-stage converters will not work but any standard CV converter that can output 13.8 Volts or higher will work."

I learned from another thread asking about a BIM for LiFePO4 batteries where we typically use a Li-BIM to manage alternator charging of the batteries of the DC-DC charger such as the Victron unit below:

I'd like to continue the discussion and education, i.e. my question is how does this work and is it a suitable replacement for the Li-BIM. What is the functional difference between a BIM and DC to DC charger? Also in the discussion was mention of needing two of these. I'm curious why and where such as are they side by side behind the cord reel where the BIM is and what is the wire path. I think the BIM has a wire coming and going out so I'm not aware of two paths.

Educate me and others that may need or want to learn of this architecture.
Man I hate acronyms that are not used properly. I am sorry but it drives me nuts. BIM= Building information modeling, Bureau of international Maritime, basic initialization module, binary input/output module. I found nothing relating to battery. Proper method of using an acronym Oh My God (OMG) spell it out the first time used and from there on out use the abbreviation. Sorry for my rant but why can't we jus spell it out? I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out BIM and still do not know what it is. I guess I am too old school and unintelligent to deal with these.

Battery Isolation Manager:

The Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) isolates the two battery systems, Chassis & Coach, in a Motorhome. This prevents loads in one system from discharging both. It also connects the two battery systems together during charging. Both batteries are charged if either is being charged. The Coach Battery is charged while driving down the road.

And should the BIRD come up in conversation, here’s this:

Sorry for my rant but why can't we jus spell it out? I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out BIM and still do not know what it is. I guess I am too old school and unintelligent to deal with these.
I had to laugh at this, as I remembered a reddit post a few years ago. It was a challenge of how long of a sentence can one write using common texting shorthand and other acronyms. Here is the result:

GAS 2U!

DQMOT, BSF IDK WCA 2TXT W/LOA.

IYO, ITS EZ &PDQ... IDTS.

IMHO, ARE =ADIH. TBH, FUBAR &2M2H. GIAR, PLZ! KISS.

RX

Translation:

Greetings and Salutations to you!

Don't quote me on this, but seriously folks I don't know who cares anyway to text with lists of acronyms.

In your opinion, its easy and pretty darn quick... I don't think so.

In my humble opinion, an acronym rich environment is another day in hell. To be honest. its *fouled* up beyond all recognition and too much to handle. Give it a rest, please! Keep it simple, stupid.

I had to laugh at this, as I remembered a reddit post a few years ago. It was a challenge of how long of a sentence can one write using common texting shorthand and other acronyms. Here is the result:
I think lawyers cornered the market on run on sentences. No offense to that profession, but I once took a racing course, and the first sentence of the part of the contract that released the school from responsibility for injuries, etc. was almost half a page long. I cracked up laughing about halfway through the sentence. 🥸😎

Latest resources

Back