Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kobie

RVF Regular
We have a 2017 Winnebago Ellipse (same as a Tour). We replaced the 6 AGM batteries with 4 Battle Born Lithium 100 Amp/Hour batteries. Added a Victron MPP 100/20 solar controller, Victron shunt battery monitor, ME-RC remote control for the Magnum MS-2812 Invertor/Charger. ME-RC is plugged into the RJ45 remote plug on the Magnum MS 2812.

Had to go back to install the ME-RC remote because the AGM settings just wouldn't work with the BB Lithium batteries correctly. Batteries now charge as advertised and we get around 24 hours of battery power inverting with now solar power. We only have the original 100-watt panel on the rig right now, so I doubt we get much more time in the sunlight.

Issue: Our step randomly roll in when our door is closed and when that happens the awnings (Porch, Front, Rear) all fail to operate. They do not go in or out. The steps will open again when the door is opened, but when you shut the door the steps go back in. I have tried to duplicate the conditions (Shore power on, Shore power off and just on batteries, Solar charger on or off with power on or off) and it still happens. Although I bought the Lithium Batter Isolator (I call it the Christmas tree) the installer did not replace it because he said that our motorhome has a battery isolator when not running.

I have contacted Firefly, thinking that they may have seen the issues, and they punted and said it's not their issue and told us to the OEM. Firefly said they didn't interface with the awnings although clearly Lights 33/34 turn on when I open the door awning and light 28 turns on with the front awning and 29 turns on with the rear awning.
I contacted Winnebago and they said it's not their issue because it originally had AGM batteries.

Question: Has anyone run into similar issues? Has anyone replaced AGM batteries with Lithium? Any possible suggestions?

Any input is really appreciated.

To new for me!!!
but.
My 95 bego had a switch at the door.
this is what it did!
Start the engine and the stairs came in.
Open the door with engine on or switch turned on, the steps would go out!
Close the door with the switch on the steps would come in!

Engine off and switch off the steps would stay in the state they were (in or out).

To keep the stairs out, I opened the door then turned the switch off (engine had to be off!).

The cavit!!!
The stairs would stay out,so we got used to them being out! When I exercised the engine, I would sometimes forget about the automatic steps. On a few occasions the steps would not be there when I would step outside! The problem was the worst when it was dark outside. The rail saved me on many occasions.

Long story longer, I don't think the problem is the lithium batteries, I think it's incompetent techs looking for any excuse to sluff the job off on someone else!!!

Thank you for your reply. I did try the step switch multiple times. Al the step switch does is close the door immediately...it does not allow it to stay out when the ignition switch is off. I think it may have something to do with a voltage surge or lack of, right now I am just grasping at straws.

Thank you for your reply. I did try the step switch multiple times. Al the step switch does is close the door immediately...it does not allow it to stay out when the ignition switch is off. I think it may have something to do with a voltage surge or lack of, right now I am just grasping at straws.
Have you tried opening the door and flipping the switch while the door is open?

Yes sir, when I do that as soon as you close the door the steps retract. The switch is working as it always has. When the switch is up, I think that is off, the steps use to stay out unless the ignition key was turned on. Now the steps will randomly retract when the switch is up. No reason when or why...some times the steps stays out a few minutes some times they stays our for hours. This issue only started the day I got the new lithium batteries installed.

Take it back to the installer to have him correct his mistake! He rewired something. Honestly, lithium is just a battery!

I agree, I have another appointment for him to put the lithium ION Isolation Manager (BIM225LI) which he said was not needed because the RV came with a battery cutoff. I am not confident that will help but at least it will isolate my house batteries from the couch batteries while charging.

I have no knowledge of the Winnebago, but on Newmars, there is a switch located in the main controls cabinet (typically over the drivers seat, or over the entry door). the switch either has the step open and close with the door, or will lock it out (unless the key is turned on to start the engine, then the step will retract).

I have no knowledge of the Winnebago, but on Newmars, there is a switch located in the main controls cabinet (typically over the drivers seat, or over the entry door). the switch either has the step open and close with the door, or will lock it out (unless the key is turned on to start the engine, then the step will retract).
Yes Winnebago has the same thing at the door. I have tried both positions and it has not helped. When everything is working fine the switch works as it should. We had a Dutchstar previously and loved it as well.

Update: So after multiple wiring schematics and thought. I have narrowed down the issue of steps randomly rolling in and awning unable to extend/retract to the ignition lockout. I double checked and the awnings and step do not work when the ignition is on/and or engine is running while the doors are closed. Obviously this is so you don't roll your awnings out driving down the road. So something is triggering my ignition lockout. Have not found the root cause yet, but when I do I will post.

Temp Fix: I use my chassis (engine battery) disconnect switch when I am parked and all setup/camping.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back