Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I think those of us that buy a motorhome someday want to be able to keep it at your house. Where I live now is in a HOA area so I can't even keep the MH at my house greater than 72 hours. As I'm not a full timer but a "most of the timer" I still don't want to let go of my house but wonder if someday I'd want to have a house with a RV garage on the property of some type, enclosed would be preferred. Where do you know of for communities that allow RV garages?

3 of my 4 s&b homes are located where there are no hoa, no rules, and no restrictions.

The one house (condo) that I have that is in an hoa is such a pain to deal with that I currently have it listed for sale. I will replace it with another that has no hoa.

I like my freedom too much to deal with hoa's.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Get out of town! Many incorporated cities and towns have a whole host of restrictive rules, but if you find property outside of the incorporated area, things are frequently much more relaxed. We live out in the county on 2.5 acres and can build pretty much whatever we want as long as we get "permitted." Read "permitted" as simply paying the permit fees (government always wants your money) and adhering to the basic building codes.

TJ

This is interesting because we live in a highly restrive HOA (is there any other kind?!) and new neighbors built a home--with an RV garage! A big, hulking, massive RV garage for their Discovery Fleetwood 40' DP! It is front-facing no less! Within a year they are ready to hang up the keys and sell the RV.

It's funny and shocking because the HOA sends letters to homeowners for the mailbox needing a paint job, the pine straw needing refreshing or one's grass needing mowing. The ARB (architectural review board) does not seem to follow any of the stated guidelines when approving new home builds.

I think many of the HOAs here in the south could be similar. Talk with the HOA and see if they will allow a new build to have an RV garage attached. They just might. I never imagined ours would. Knock me over with a feather!

There's a place in Fort Myers, FL about 10 minutes from NorthTrail RV that allows them. Horse Creek Community

FLSteve

https://horsecreekcommunity.com

1.jpgHeaded Your Way.jpg

We have lived in Texas since 1973. Most of that time was in the Houston area.

Houston prides itself on being, “the largest city in the country without zoning.” In place of zoning, they rely on deed restrictions, which may or may not be backed up by a Home Owners Association.

A lot of folks who have not lived in areas without zoning look askance at a system that relies on deed restrictions. Having worked in situations where I have observed first hand the bribes going to the local pols to get a zoning variance approved, I tend to like deed restrictions. As a rule, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get around the restrictions written into a well-drafted set of deed restrictions.

So with that in mind, l spent a lot of time reviewing the deed restrictions when we were negotiating to buy a nine acre lot for our retirement home back in 2001. I wanted a reasonable level of protection (like no junk yard next door) without an unreasonable level of restrictions (like an RV garage is OK).

However, when we arrived at our property in the summer of 2014 to start construction, we found that our community Property Owners Association had set up an Architectural Control Committee and those folks refused to approve our RV garage. They pointed to an official looking document entitled “Architectural Guidelines” or some-such (74 pages!) that specifically excluded RV garages.

I pointed out that in the thirteen years since we had bought our property, over thirty RV garages and/or shops, barns, whatever had already appeared in our 1800 lot community. They advised that was the “out of control building” they were trying to prevent.

I produced my copy of the deed restrictions. Twelve pages. I asked them to show me the section that prohibited me building an RV garage. They couldn’t do that because no such section exists.

It could have gotten ugly from this point, but fortunately for us, two other families had recently run into the same stone wall. They had filed a lawsuit against the POA. The lawsuit had reached the point where the D&O coverage for the POA board was exhausted. The board members wisely decided that their 74 pages of architectural controls were, indeed, unenforceable and we were free to proceed with our garage.

I relate thus long story to make the point that property owners should be sure to explore the legality of what they are being told about restrictions that supposedly exist on their property. There are many wanna-be politicians out there who are ready to write rules that may or may not be enforceable. In our case, if its in the deed restrictions, it’s enforceable by the POA. If its not in the deed restrictions, the POA would need to get the restrictions changed. For us, that takes an 80% vote of the property owners. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Boise Idaho and surrounding cities have many developments with RV garages. I’m fortunate to have an RV garage and feel it makes a huge difference in upkeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back