Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

sworkie

RVF Newbee
Hi Everyone!!! My wife and I have been very interested in RV-ing for many years. Only recently though, have we been actively researching motorhomes. We live in the Northeast where there are few motorhome dealers, so most our research has been online.....and it has been painful!!! The options are endless, yet specifics are super hard to find. I figured an online forum may be our best bet to get the information we need to purchase our first RV. The biggest hurdle, so far, has been trying to find a motorhome that will fit in our barn when we’re not on the road. The max height in the barn is 10’-3”. We were originally looking at Class B+ (around 25’ long). The only two (we found) that may work are the Leisure Travel Unity and the Coach House Arriva.... both are on Mercedes chassis. I am hoping someone will see this post and point us in the right direction..... whether it be brand/company/model or a contact/dealer who can help us find a vehicle that works for us. Thank you all , in advance, for your help. I will continue perusing the old posts looking for guidance.

Welcome to RVF @sworkie; glad to have you here. You might help us help you by providing a bit more information on your needs and wants. Are you looking for a new or pre-owned coach? What type of use; weekend trips, longer ones, cross-country travel? And, of course, budget?

Is the height restriction in your barn due to the door opening or the barn structure itself? Door openings can frequently be raised. Is that a possibility? The 10'-3" height limit will be a pretty serious restriction.

As for the two coaches you have already identified, the Mercedes Sprinter chassis is a pretty good one. Some years back, we had a Class C motorhome on the Sprinter 3500 chassis with Diesel engine. It was a very nice unit; just a little small for our taste. If I was in the market for a smaller coach, I would not hesitate seriously considering units on the MB chassis.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Hi TJ
Thank you so much for you input. The Unity MB (murphy bed) was the exact model that caught our eye from the very beginning. I believe it has, unfortunately, tainted our view of the other brands we are finding online. We were looking at new, but would absolutely entertain the idea of a younger, good condition used. Our budget is on the higher end. It is just the two of us. We are thinking doing extended cross country trips and feel we would be fine in a smaller unit (we may find out the hard way....how wrong we are?). I think the only thing we would be lacking is a washer/dryer (in a smaller RV) to make extended trips easier. As for the barn, the max height is 10’-3”, so we are tied to that. I am sure there are other models that will fit our storage space, but internet searches repeatedly bring up the same results..... it’s very annoying. I will battle on!!! Thank you for your help!!

Looking at the Leisure Travel Unity, it spec's out at 10'-6" which is just over your 10'-3" requirement. The Leisure Travel Wonder, however, is just a few inches shorter than the Unity and spec's out at 9'-11.5"; just under your 10'-3" barn height. It looks like it has some decent amenities but is not a diesel. Gas units can be a bit noisy but since I've never been in a Liesure Travel unit, I really don't know about that aspect first hand.

Winnebago offers the Travato in about the same packge size as the Liesure Travel Wonder And it also specs out just under 10' high. Winnebago Travato | Class B | Gas Camper Van

There's also a Regency National Traveler that comes in just under 10' high. National Traveler - Regency Motorhomes

I wasn't able to find any Class C units under 10'-3" but there may be a few out there.

Both are gas-engined as well. I have no first-hand experience with any of them, so am not making recommendations; just providing some alternatives you might want to check out.

EDIT - Just found this...

The Airstream Interstate is on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis (a big plus in my book) and Airstream has a good reputation.

TJ

Last edited:
Welcome to RVForums @sworkie, glad to have you. You say you are from the NE, I think it is old there in January, how about a trip to Tampa RV Show. There is also an RV show in Hershey, PA every September except this year. Good luck with your search, enjoy the process and don’t get too discouraged

Latest resources

Back