• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fergl

RVF Newbee
Hello all,
New to this site. Have had a Cameo 5th wheel in the past that we have lived in for 6 months at a time when moving to or from new bases. At the time had 2 cats and 2 medium sized dogs living with us. Now looking to buy a Class A for intermittent travel in our retirement. We currently have 2 medium sized and one large sized dogs we will be traveling with. Traveling from 1 week to 2 months at a time. Plan on visiting national parks among other attractions. Would like to tow a 2 door Jeep behind. Husband wants a diesel pusher. I am looking for advice on purchasing a used diesel pusher that will accommodate the 5 of us and be comfortable enough for travel. I hope I have given enough information for advice.
Thank you,
Lisa

Welcome Lisa, and congrats on retirement! Best job I ever had.

We have only had fivers, a gas Class A, and a DP (diesel pusher). Probably the biggest different between our Class A gas and our Class A DP was the annual maintenance cost. The 37' Class A gas was easy to change the oil in and I did it myself (Ford V-10 motor). The DP had to go to a Freightliner service center each year and the annual service ran between $800 and $1,000 every time.

You will notice a difference on windy days between a Class A gas coach and a DP. The DP will tend to hold the road much better because most of them are on air suspensions and not the Ford F53 suspensions. Of course you will be paying for it also.

The choice of a DP is a good one. Because it's drivetrain in one unit consolidated at the drive axle there is much less twist of the frame. As a result the whole unit is more stable and ridged. For those that know I understand it is not one unit, but consolidated is a better term. That said, shop! One floor plan will not fit all people, nor can anyone know what you see as convenient. This is a very personal thing, so shop until you find what you like. Then sit in the thing for a while and see what you think you would like to change. Then shop some more.

Welcome Lisa, and congrats on retirement! Best job I ever had.

We have only had fivers, a gas Class A, and a DP (diesel pusher). Probably the biggest different between our Class A gas and our Class A DP was the annual maintenance cost. The 37' Class A gas was easy to change the oil in and I did it myself (Ford V-10 motor). The DP had to go to a Freightliner service center each year and the annual service ran between $800 and $1,000 every time.

You will notice a difference on windy days between a Class A gas coach and a DP. The DP will tend to hold the road much better because most of them are on air suspensions and not the Ford F53 suspensions. Of course you will be paying for it also.
Thank Joe!
I think 37" may be the way to go size wise. I walked into a 40' today and it is way too big. I also walked into a 35' gas class A just for a size check and thought it was perfect. We are not in a hurry, but want to purchase before the actual retirement. Also, a thought we didn't consider, where will we put it? I think I'd have to cut down some trees to get it on my property, not sure the forest service will appreciate the trimming that would have to be done for Class C access!
Lisa

The choice of a DP is a good one. Because it's drivetrain in one unit consolidated at the drive axle there is much less twist of the frame. As a result the whole unit is more stable and ridged. For those that know I understand it is not one unit, but consolidated is a better term. That said, shop! One floor plan will not fit all people, nor can anyone know what you see as convenient. This is a very personal thing, so shop until you find what you like. Then sit in the thing for a while and see what you think you would like to change. Then shop some more.
Thanks Kevin,
We are going to take our time. There are things we didn't consider until we started looking today, such as storage and access to our property!
Thanks,
Lisa

Test drive them as well. You get used to the size rather quickly.

I started out with a 25 ft trailer then immediately went to a 30 ft C. Now I am in a 37 ft A. They don't make gassers any bigger, I don't think, but if I could afford a DP, I would be ready for a 40 footer or larger. But I don't want to be greedy. What I have is fine. Solo camper, with an occasional visit from my wife.

Latest resources

Back