• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Looking to buy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Are you asking how long the motorhome chassis should be or the engine horsepower needed? Neither of these are easy questions to answer without some additional information. How much does the "small truck" weigh? And, the weight of the "Harley" and the "hydraulic lift?" Will your travels be relatively long-haul, or short trips? Lots of driving in the mountains, or not much?

There may be someone on the forum with some first-hand experience, but in the meantime, some more information on what you plan to do would be helpful. While I have significant experience with motorhomes and towing vehicles, I've never dealt with the motorcycle lift issue. If I were setting this up with the information Ihave at hand, I would want at least a 40' motorhome rated to tow at least 10,000 pounds and with at least 400 HP. And, with that setup, I would still be prepared for some slow-going in the mountains.

TJ

Everything I have read is exactly what you said. 400HP 10,000 pound towing. My Harley is a Limited Low ( Full dresser) and I want to tow a jeep or a Honda truck. I plan on doing long hauls and in the mountains. I do Not want something over 40ft. Thank you for your advice.

The extra weight of the Harley might bump you into a tag axle model to support that weight.

The extra weight of the Harley might bump you into a tag axle model to support that weight.
I would count on it. A single-axle rig would be badly overloaded in my opinion.

TJ

There have been tag axle 40 footers.

There have been tag axle 40 footers.
Yes. In the Newmar line alone, there have been 40' tag-axle coaches since at least 2018 in the Ventana, Dutch Star and Mountain Aire models. I'm sure other manufacturers have them too.

TJ

During our travels last year in the Upper Midwest, I remember seeing a frame-mounted motorcycle carrier with a pair of large caster wheels supporting most of the weight. And, it had an extended hitch receiver under it that allowed towing a vehicle behind. The fact that it was frame-mounted made it part of the motorhome, according to the owner, and allowed towing a vehicle behind without being subject to the two-trailer rule. It could also be the solution to the single vs tag axle issue.

I'm sorry that I don't recall the manufacturer, but it was a commercially available unit. Some internet research might find it. Or, someone on the forum may have more information.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back