RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
While on our summer trip, I was introduced to an RO system that takes up little room, provides 100 gal daily of pure (.02 micron membrane and less than 10 ppm solids) water. A system float switch keeps the tank full. The gentleman who showed me his system used it to wash his coach with no water spotting, and stated the filters last a year of fulltiming. Seems like this would kill two birds by eliminating the softener and de-ionizer tanks that many carry. Anyone have any experience with the RO on a coach?

Do you have the manufacture name? Would be interested on reading the info on it.

Check out David Bott (Outside Our Bubble) on YouTube. He’s done a LOT with RO and even just had a Live session with another full timer just a few days ago.

I’ll tell ya right now, though, on the average...that salesman is full of B.S.! I’ve had an RO system in my home for decades and NEVER got that life out of filters. Bott and the other guy CONFIRMS that; ESPECIALLY on certain states where the water is very hard.

I don’t care for an RO SYSTEM since it needs to waste water to do its job.

I prefer our On The Go double tank softwater filter. Easy. Lasted us well over a year and didn’t need recharging. LOVE LOVE the clean no spot water throughout the coach!!!! A LOT better for washing clothes too!!

For washing, I have a nice DI tank that I keep at home for washing my vehicles and windows. Simple to toss it into my bay when we plan on being out for a long time. But, after three 7-week trips and not washing my rig, I tend to leave the DI tank at home.

Here's the link. His system had the optional two membrane canisters. He's used it for a few years now.

deluxe reverse osmosis water filter system

Thanks Capt.! I have the "on the go double" installed semi permanently in the plumbing and nestled in a bin and have been very happy with it. Not quite spot free in my experience, but much better than the water available at most parks.

Check out David Bott (Outside Our Bubble) on YouTube. He’s done a LOT with RO and even just had a Live session with another full timer just a few days ago.

I’ll tell ya right now, though, on the average...that salesman is full of B.S.! I’ve had an RO system in my home for decades and NEVER got that life out of filters. Bott and the other guy CONFIRMS that; ESPECIALLY on certain states where the water is very hard.

I don’t care for an RO SYSTEM since it needs to waste water to do its job.

I prefer our On The Go double tank softwater filter. Easy. Lasted us well over a year and didn’t need recharging. LOVE LOVE the clean no spot water throughout the coach!!!! A LOT better for washing clothes too!!

For washing, I have a nice DI tank that I keep at home for washing my vehicles and windows. Simple to toss it into my bay when we plan on being out for a long time. But, after three 7-week trips and not washing my rig, I tend to leave the DI tank at home.
I have an RO unit in my rig. It is nothing special just the RO unit. The filters are recommended replaced every 6 mos. I feed the rinse water back into the holding tank 40 gal tank. 40 gal is about 2 wks of water so the water gets replaced regularly keeping the solids down to very manageable levels that won't hurt the Membrane. Because the filter case is clear I can see condition of the filters and so I replace them every 3 mos at best. Still filters are filters. If you have to service a water softener then what is the difference in buying cheap filters and replacing them? Salts are a big thing for me as My system is very touchy and I don't like revenge, I wash my truck about 2 times a year and have only washed the trailer once as long as I have had it. I could use RO for the job but I like my RO water coffee more.

Further clarity...pun intended.

We don’t drink the soft water much.

The “salt” in a soft water system is a farce. Salt is used to dissolve and regenerate the resin beads then flushed away; leaving trace amounts, of any.

A Regen can be done anywhere, any time, which nothing more than table salt. My Culligan RO filters at home are well north of $150 if you replace all 4.

Higher end coffee/espresso manufactures actually recommend good filtered water with “some”
Minerals such as Geyser that helps with the boiler sensor systems as well as taste. But that’s a different topic altogether.

I was also worried about the taste of water without some minerals in it.

Many bottlers add back electrolytes. Problem with the electrolytes You can buy is they come from the great salt lake. The people that live in Salt lake city talk about the pollution level in the lake. I use an electrolyte recipe I used for chicks when I would get a new hatch. Coffee tastes better when RO is used over just tap water. I don't have to worry if the maker has salts in the water as I use stove top espresso maker. Yes I know I am not a purest, don't bother me a bit.

When all is said and done, RO is the only way I can keep the salt under control, and no I eat enough salt/ electrolytes to keep the RO water from leaching out all my electrolytes. All is good.

Latest resources

Back