• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Love those prices

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just got the bill from my accountant for my corp return and saw an added charge of several hundred labeled a "technology fee." So of course I had to ask what that was about. He called me and said it's essentially an added fee to keep accountants from getting laid off due to inflation, a percentage of your bill amount. Tongue bit - paid the bill. So effectively it was a tip.

By the way, I'm seeing restaurants now adding 20% tips to bills automatically. That's typically what I tip anyways but it's interesting seeing this forced upon the customers. Have to say I don't disagree with it, protect the restaurant workers as we know all have been shorthanded.

By the way, I'm seeing restaurants now adding 20% tips to bills automatically. That's typically what I tip anyways but it's interesting seeing this forced upon the customers. Have to say I don't disagree with it, protect the restaurant workers as we know all have been shorthanded.
I don't agree either. TIP (to insure promptness) was originally mean as something you gave the server in advance, so that you would get good treatment. Not sure when it changed, but I'm sure it was many, many years ago. Then it became something you gave the server if the service was good. Now it's become a way for you to pay the wages of the server, regardless of what kind of service you receive.

Trish and I are the BEST tippers in the universe, lol. But I do it because I want to, and I take issue with having it forced on me. So much so that I probably wouldn't return to a place the had this policy.

And now there is an "additional tip" slot so many will feel obligated to add more, which is fine, but again it's forced upon the customer in a pressured way. Some can do this, some can't.

And it shows up in more places as well.

Local juice store checkout has a spot for a tip. May be part of the app they use and they have no choice but to have it there.

Overall I have seen spots for tips more and more places though.

Overall I have seen spots for tips more and more places though.
I think I saw a spot on the login page. Just sayin . . .

When we see a tip option on advertisements, we will KNOW that we have reached a point of no return.

Do I get tips for going to the gym? I found my gym bag with the lock in it. Baby steps.

If this is the new norm, since I am still working in the corporate world (not yet retired), I am wondering if I should add a spot in my email signature and a post-zoom survey after meeting to provide an opportunity for my stakeholders to support me with tips?

🤔

The tech fee to support those from being laid off is welfare, if you're in a job that might disappear, it's on YOU to rectify the situation, not society to subsidize a failing employer. I've found myself more these days asking for a quote and not an estimate on XYZ, I'm also paying others less when it's something I can do myself.

I don't eat out enough to see the auto tip thing being more regular, when I did, it was common for 20% to be added to parties of 8 or more. Again, this is forced welfare, I always start at 15% and let the service provided dictate if it should go up (usually) or down (rarely) to as low as 10%. Any lower and I would speak with management about where failures had occured and give them the opportunity to make it right, this too was rare but not never.

I've also seen more of the tip boxes on receipts forced upon you for services that haven't in the past and shouldn't necessitate tipping. I bought a 1/2 dozen pricey donuts (3.69/ea!) from a boutique shop and the receipt had pre-selected tip options you could pick from or establish your own. How much should someone be tipped for 19 seconds of their time (that they're already being paid for) putting donuts in a box then closing it?

My last lawn service company had online billing and it had a tip box on it. I never tipped as I paid for a quoted contracted service but I wonder how successful that was and my guess it was. It always got my attention and a little feel bad.

Latest resources

Back