RV Model
Legacy
RV Length
16 LOA
TOW/TOAD
Ford F150 2.7
Fulltimer
No
This isn't specific to Forest River campers, but on my very small, simple Palomini travel trailer I have a 100W solar panel. With a new 100Ah AGM battery (not yet used - just installed on camper) the controller reads FULL (13.6V) and yet the Ah reads from 1 to 2. Can anyone explain what's going on here? I do have the correct battery type chosen. Thanks

What are you referring to when you say “the AH reads 1 to 2”?

If you’re looking at your on board panel, that’s telling you THE CURRENT DRAW.

The rating on a battery is a capacity; the gas tank, if you will, until the battery is exhausted.

Therefore, at 1-2 AH of current draw, your 100Ah battery would last 50-100 hours. In “theory”, and this depends at what final discharge capacity that rating was given; for example 50%, which is about as far as you want to take a standard/AGM battery.

What are you referring to when you say “the AH reads 1 to 2”?

If you’re looking at your on board panel, that’s telling you THE CURRENT DRAW.

The rating on a battery is a capacity; the gas tank, if you will, until the battery is exhausted.

Therefore, at 1-2 AH of current draw, your 100Ah battery would last 50-100 hours. In “theory”, and this depends at what final discharge capacity that rating was given; for example 50%, which is about as far as you want to take a standard/AGM battery.
Hello Captain Gizmo from Jackson Wyoming...thank you so much for that advice. I am referring to a reading on the Renogy Solar charge controller. Your explanation makes complete sense - however: 1) I think of Ah as being a capacity rather than an actual draw measurement - which would be just 'A' for Amps. I understand that it might be showing a draw of 1 or 2 amps - but not a draw of 1 or 2 amp-hours. That doesn't make much sense to me. But the other mystery is...there's nothing drawing power in the camper - no lights, no fridge panel - nothing - so I'm puzzled as to why there's a draw reading in the first place.
I would very much appreciate your thoughts on that.
Thank you

Thinking on this a little more - yes, I get it now - your explanation of 1 - 2 Amp-hours does make more sense - so no need to go over that again. That's very useful information.
I also meant to add that I try not to draw batteries below 80% - which I understand is 11.8V. - Do you think I'm being over-cautious?

You are correct that amps are a use measurement and amp-hours is a capacity measurement. In your first post, you seem to indicate that the reading you are seeing is on the solar “controller“ rather than on a power use monitoring panel. If that’s the case, I think what you could be seeing is the battery charger input via the solar panel, not the power draw from the battery. Are you seeing the “1-2 Ah” reading at night or on a very cloudy day as well?

Just a thought.

TJ

Ah. Well. Solar is a whole nuther bird!!!
Solar controllers will report a lot of information including recharging levels.
As for static draw, hardly a current model coach out there uses “0” unless everything is disconnected.

Thank you to all who answered this - but I'm still getting nowhere - even from Renogy support - who made the solar controller. Honestly, I think my very simple rig, and very simple question, is 'below' the scope of owners of large complex rigs. (my camper doesn't have a power use monitoring panel)

I have a three component solar system: 1) A 100W Solar panel on the roof of a tiny travel trailer. 2) A 100Ah brand new, fully charged Deep Cycle battery - not yet used but mounted to the camper and wired to the solar panel via 3) A Renogy Voyager 20A PWM Charge controller. (Plus of course the wiring)

My question is: - Given that the battery is fully charged (13.6V) and it's a sunny day - is it normal that I get readings of between 1-3 Ah, and about 1A on the charge controller?
I also get a reading of 0.0 KW/h. I do have one theory of my own about the A and Ah readings - and that is - if the battery is full, and the charge controller is designed to stop charging when the battery is full - does that mean there are essentially no Amps to 'read' as there's no current flowing into the battery?

What isn't explained anywhere on YouTube or in the manual or by Renogy support is whether the Amps reading is what's being delivered to the battery, or the Amp-hours that are stored in the battery?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you

PS - does this response go out to all in the forum, or just back to Captain Gizmo?

@Scotsman when you Post Reply, it's viewable to everyone.

Now, to say your rig is "below" the scope of other owners isn't fair. Sadly, the 2 of us who are trying to help, ARE in fact, owners of large Class A coaches. But, doesn't matter...solar controllers and power control panels are very similar; if not identical.

So, as to your confusions, I'm surprised you haven't sought help by calling Renogy OR Forest River (or dealer). Would be odd they can't help you, unless what you've installed is different than what they install.

But, the problem is, I haven't seen your panel or even a picture. So, I can't even tell you what your STATUS ICONS are telling you. I just glanced at your manual and there are icons that will indicate what stage/status your controller is in.

I'm sorry if my answers confused you, or weren't clear. Let me rephrase my "idea" of what you're seeing:

If it says 1-2Ah on your Controller, my "educated guess" is that the controller is telling you that your solar panel is generating 1-2 amp hours of energy. Your panel should be cycling through different readings...as this clip shows in the manual. As to the 1A reading, that should be how much current is being dumped into your battery to maintain it's charge. And, don't forget, chargers have several levels of charging: Bulk, Boost, Float, and Equalization. Those levels will fluctuate as battery state of charge and loads are evaluated.

Hope this helps.

1628877016089.png

Your response is posted on the Forest River Owners Club forum, so is available for all.

Thanks for the description of your system, it helps to get a handle on just what we are looking at. First, let me say that I am not an expert on solar systems. That said, I am not a stranger to RV electrical systems and electricity in general.

Is this the unit you are using?

TJ

Latest resources

Back