Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've had an iPhone with the magnetic back (magsafe) for years but never really embraced the magnet thing until recently. While I have used a nightstand since the 14's and later offered that new nightstand mode, now I'm enjoying more magsafe mounts around. Today I installed a magsafe air conditioner vent mount as it keeps me from just tossing the phone around the car tethered to a USB cable, which I need for Car Play, but it just gives me a better option. I got a magsafe RAM mount for my plane and realized I could use this instead of the x-grip in the RV so I have another one coming for the RV to again keep the iPhone off the tray where I put sunglasses, etc. at times. It just helps organizing but more so it works well. Here are a few of my recent magsafe gadgets should anyone with an iPhone 12 or later, I think that's when magsafe started.

Vent mount

RAM 1" ball mount

Night stands: this and this

Charger

Note: These products come with magnetic rings that can be inserted into any phone case and will then work like a later iPhone with magsafe built in to the device. Again, I'm late to this party, never really took advantage of the magnetic feature.

vent-mount.png ram-magsafe.png

Lisen makes great mounts; I've got several of them in different versions.

I'd STRONGLY recommend using them with a MAGSAFE CASE! NO need to use a magnetic plate or ring!

I like these for 2 reasons; first and foremost, they are THE BEST clamp I've used over dozen others. You have to be cautious, however that it WILL actually pull the vane out a bit if the vane is recessed below the foot as it's tightened. My Grand Cherokee will do this. Just have to be careful. The other reason I love these, is the built-in magsafe charger works really well BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT if you need tethered Carplay...just use the mount and run the USB to the phone. It also comes with good surface mount too.

The other model we use is mounted on the Queen's console...love this one cuz it will fold FLAT and is nice and low-profile.

I bought this case because it has the kick stand which is nice for watching videos etc. such as I did recently waiting on my car service, etc. I typically prefer a thin clear soft TPU case by Aeska only for the grip. I wish Apple would put knurling on the sides like gun grips. I've considered smearing a thin layer of silicone on the sides to help with grip, we'll see.

For the first time ever, now two weeks in, I'm using NO CASE. The phones are light and thin and it's such a shame to put a case on them but I struggle with the smooth sides and not getting a good grip. When I got my new phone I wanted to go no case and fumbled the phone 3 times in the first week, catching it each time thankfully, but I do have AppleCare and rarely ever use it, which is good. But I'm going with no case and prefer it and the magnetic force is powerful. We'll see, again, just a shame when they are thin and light with no case. But knowing no case I do use a death grip and am much more aware and careful, I hope at least.

case.png

For the first time ever, now two weeks in, I'm using NO CASE.
I’m with you here. I love the slim, lightweight feel of an iPhone with no case. I’m still using an old XR (that must be about 6 years old now) with no case. About time to get a new one and I will continue to go without a case.
IMG_3251.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to swear by Otter Box Defenders as they are big, bulky, and protect well. TOO WELL!
I've since switched to a great looking minimalist case that fits very well and protects enough.
Take your pick:
I still use the Otterbox Defender series.

Wish I didn’t need one, but I drop the phone way too frequently. Just this morning dropped the phone from about 4 feet off the concrete and landed on a corner.

If I wasn’t clumsy then I could be cool like some of you and go case-less.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back