• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Travel20

RVF Regular
Hello all,

We are traveling from Maine to Alaska in July of 2020. It is approx. 4300 miles. Is it unrealistic to think we can make that trip out there in 9-10 days? What is the average speed on the Alcan Highway? Thank you

"Alaska" is a pretty big place. Where in Alaska do you want to go? Are you just going to a specific place in Alaska and then returning home, or do you plan to see a lot of the state?

If I was going from Maine to Alaska with the intent of touring our 50th state, I would plan on two months. @NWIP visited Alaska last summer, so maybe he will weigh in here soon.

TJ

We went to ALaska last year but we flew into Anchorage and then took an RV for a loop around. This time we would like to hit Canada that's why we are driving through and then are headed to Cooper Landing (Klutina River area) for fishing and back down again.

Ultimately, we are going to be spending a week in Alaska total. Just to fish and spend time with the family.

OK...understand.

To your original question of whether you can make a 4,300-mile trip in 9-10 days; you might be able to, but I couldn't. Doing the math and using a reasonable 50 mph average for the trip, that's 86 hours of driving. That means just over 8-1/2 hours of driving time per day for 10 days. So, by the time you factor in rest stops, meals, etc. you would probably have 12 hours each day "on-the-road."

If it were me, I would fly to Alaska and extend my visit there accordingly. You indicate that you would like to drive through Canada (presumably to see the sights) but you won't have much time to take other than a fleeting glance out the window at the countryside.

Just my two cents worth.

TJ

OK...understand.

To your original question of whether you can make a 4,300-mile trip in 9-10 days; you might be able to, but I couldn't. Doing the math and using a reasonable 50 mph average for the trip, that's 86 hours of driving. That means just over 8-1/2 hours of driving time per day for 10 days. So, by the time you factor in rest stops, meals, etc. you would probably have 12 hours each day "on-the-road."

If it were me, I would fly to Alaska and extend my visit there accordingly. You indicate that you would like to drive through Canada (presumably to see the sights) but you won't have much time to take other than a fleeting glance out the window at the countryside.

Just my two cents worth.

TJ

Okay thank you!

There are a couple of things to consider with regards to an Alaska trip this summer with current conditions. First what travel restrictions through Canada will there be? Friends of ours who are from Alaska just traveled back from lower 48, arriving in Eagle River 10 days ago. They pushed pretty hard to get home and took them 8 days once across border north of Great Falls, never stopping for more than one night. There was a restriction in the Yukon that travel thru must be completed within 24 hours.

Another thing to consider is with no cruise ships and limited tourism in Alaska this summer, what facilities will be open or in business? I think your plan is quite ambitious for one week of fishing, I did love Coopers Landings though. We spent a month traveling thru Canada and feel it was as beautiful as Alaska. We never drove more than 300 miles in a day and mostly 200 miles.

Should you decide to go, be safe, take your time and enjoy the trip.

Latest resources

Back