Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL9 450HP
TOW/TOAD
2023 Silverado
Fulltimer
No
If you have MCD power shades in your coach I'm looking for some input on how Newmar has mine set up. I'm also looking for any experience out there in altering the shade controls into and alternate configuration. This will be a bit long but I'll explain the current shade labels and control as delivered in my 22 Dutch Star, then the configuration / control that I would like to get too. Any suggestions and or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

First off I'll start with some terminology:
The coach has two types of shades / shade material. MCD calls the shades you can see through "Day Shades" and the shades you cannot see through "Night Shades".

Newmar (per the various dash switches) calls the shade you can see through a "Visor" and the shade you cannot see through a "Shade"

The shades can have one of two different motors.
Motor A = a power shade with control via a toggle switch or other means of manually applying voltage to raise and lower the shade.
Motor B = a power shade with control via the MCD remote which is a RF type remote.

Per MCD, a motor with remote control cannot also have a manual switch control (i.e. to allow the remote OR the switch to raise and lower the shade.

So now to my problem and the function I would like to get too.

When driving, and the sun is basting into the driver side window and or the passenger side window, the "Visor" switch on the dash / passenger arm rest will raise or lower the "Day Shade" i.e. the shade you can see through. As a "Visor" this shade is useless as a football bat. It does not block the sun from your eyes and the heat that is created from the sun shining through the window.

In my coach the windshield shades are controlled by a switch on the dash. No problem there except once again the "Visor" switch controls the "Day Shade" which is useless for blocking the sun from your eyes as you drive. So solving my windshield shade name issue appears to be straight forward, simply swap the switches between the two windshield shades so the "Visor" switch actually controls the "Night Shade. I have not looked at the wiring yet but this seems to be the solution for the windshield shades.

Onto the driver and passenger window shades. So it's the same situation in that the "Visor" switch is controlling the "Day Shade" and I want it to control the "Night Shade". The twist is the "Day Shade" on the driver and passenger windows have motor A, i.e. manual switch control only, and the "Night Shade" on the driver and passenger windows have Motor B, i.e. remote control only.

My questions to the forum:
- Are your shade controls the same as mine? i.e. Perhaps Newmar just has the wrong shade in the wrong spot in my coach?
- Have you set up your coach shades in a way that you have control of the driver window and passenger window "Night Shades" while driving?

Potential solutions I've thought of are:
- Swap the shade material so the "Day Shade" material is on the "Night Shade" roller / motor.
- Add a couple TBD RF control / switches such that I have an additional RF switch for the driver and passenger "Night Shade"
- Post the RVForums to see what others have done.

Sorry for the long post,

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated,

I won’t comment on the windshield as my day & night windshield units are both operated by dash switches which work no matter what the ignition key position. I’m surprised yours don’t operate the same.
As for the DS night shade, there is a relay that was actually installed as a safety recall in my coach that can be bypassed (I had a tech do it) which allows the night shade to be operated with the remote control while the coach is moving. Absolutely necessary in my opinion. I also purchased a second remote which I mounted near the drivers seat as I was always forgetting to put it near me before getting on the road. It’s nice to have the second remote regardless in case you drop/break the original.

I bought and installed another 2 button remote and programed it to the drivers window and passengers window night shades. Double face taped it to the dash to control while driving. Works great. As far as the windshield, mine works while running but has a stop programed before you loose all forward vision.

Although I do not have a solution for you, as ours are all manual shades period except the windshield ones.
With key on, shade goes down about half way, both of them, the opaque one and the night one. Key off, all the way down for both. One reason, I wanted this model of RV was I wanted some tech, but not a lot of tech. I can certainty lower all the shades by hand, electric ones to me are just something else to go out, at exactly the time I need it to work. Manual for the most part always works. Believe previous poster has solution.

@lostinfla Is the 2 button remote you bought from MCD? Would also appreciate if you happen to have a part number. Not sure if a "2 button" remote will work with my shades but I'll check into it.

Thanks.

Yes, the two button remote is the same as the one that came with the coach in the bedroom to control the bedroom shades. I ordered it from MCD but I don't have a part number. I also installed one above the bed near the light controls to operate the bedroom shades from the bed. You can program it for any of the MCD shades.
20211130_062612.jpg

@lostinfla Thanks for the reply & photo. I'm about 10 miles from MCD so I'll stop in and see what they have for remotes these days.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back