Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Curious about this topic. Has anyone else had tire valve stem failure on the Toad with installed valve stem TPMS sensors, small black sensors.
One of the rubber stems failed on a trip. Hardest part of the fix was finding a tire repair shop with adequate parking for the motorhome. Thank you satellite images on Google Maps:)

Subsequently installed metal high pressure valve stems, typically used on competition vehicles. This seemed to resolve the issue.

An aside, this vehicle had multiple tire changes through its 55k mile life with us. Replaced 8 tires for flat tires, no blow outs thank goodness. So this may have had something to do with the failure. A replacement Valve Stem may have been defective/damaged during tire replacement. Typically I always replace the stems when replacing tires.

Not on the toad since ours has metal valve stems but…

Spare on our last coach I had replaced since it was old - had the right rear inner throw part of the tire on the way to Florida last winter (held air though which was good) and roadside replaced with the spare.

Unfortunately I didn’t check and the spare had a high pressure rubber valve stem installed when they replaced the tire.

Made it about 400 miles total on that with the TST 507 cap sensor installed and the rubber valve stem cracked causing the fast leak alarm.

Luckily it held together enough to limp the last 10 miles to the campground stopping to put air in a few times.

Another swap by roadside assistance and a trip to get a metal valve stem installed on the spare.

Tire shop in Albany GA wouldn’t even charge me since “it would take longer to write it up than it is worth”. Got the managers email address and sent them a gift card to get lunch for the crew after we got back home.

I'm a bit curious as to the quality of parts being put into some of these vehicles used as toads, either that or y'all like to average >75mph including lunch & fuel stops.

Latest resources

Back