Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Michelin vs. Toyo tires for RV's (and other brands)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I use a product called Rubber Care from Aero Cosmetics for the tires. Approved for use on aircraft tires per Boeing.

he engineers obviously have way superior tire knowledge than me it’s just hard to wrap my pea brain around “movement equals less cracking”
The way he explained this to me is that the chemicals in the tire will settle when sitting for extended times. Not sure if the exterior of the tire when exposed to UV would flash off the various compounds or not. He did say that exercising the tire and bring the tires up to operating temperature helped redistribute the various chemicals in the tire sidewalls and bring the compounds to the surface of sidewalls.
The engineer was very patient with me as we played 20 questions.

100 lbs on the steers, 95 lbs on the rears. Weighed coach and used Michelin's inflation table to determine. Also l drive slow. Usually around 62 mph. Also tried to drive monthly in the off season. FWIW, they looked okay until last year. Seemed to age a lot in year 7.
I came up with the same values based on my previous four corner weights of a couple years ago, and drove with those pressures for the last 15,000 miles or so, but I recently upped my rears to 100 and fronts to 110 because I decided I didn’t want to run at the minimum and I want to account for load variations, and it doesn’t ride noticeably different. Not really a scientific approach, but until I can get a current weight that’s what I’m doing.

I would still suggest, and like to hear what Michelin says, send pictures to the RV group and see what they have to say about this, what causes it, etc. I've spoken with them before long ago, not hard to get in touch with and was easy to work with.

I would still suggest, and like to hear what Michelin says, send pictures to the RV group and see what they have to say about this, what causes it, etc. I've spoken with them before long ago, not hard to get in touch with and was easy to work with.
They don’t explain the chemistry or physics of it here but they do discuss the issue in the Michelin Tire Book, page 8:

LONG TERM STORAGE
MICHELIN® RV Tires

When a tire is fitted to a wheel and put under load, but it is not regularly used, the tire does not have an opportunity to
“exercise” and will prematurely age.

If a recreational vehicle is not driven regularly, care must be
taken to preserve the remaining life of the tires. Best practices include:
1. Store the recreational vehicle in a cool, dry, sealed garage,
away from electric generators or transformers. Do not store in an area where welding is performed, or in a garage that has frequently used electric motors.
2. Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats.
3. Before storing the vehicles, thoroughly clean tires with soap and water.
4. If outdoors, cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet rays.
5. Inflate tires to the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.
6. If long term storage exceeds 3 months, consider taking the recreational vehicle for monthly highway drives (about one hour of operational time). Driving the vehicle will give the tires an opportunity to generate internal heat which will promote long life.
Before removing the vehicle from long term storage,
thoroughly inspect each tire, and restore all tires to the proper inflation pressure.

I am still researching this (Michelin vs Toyo) and read somewhere that Michelin uses natural rubber on the walls, which can crack over time, but it does not have any effect on the structure of the tire (cosmetic?). Not sure if this is true or not.

I also read that Toyo's tend to be a more durable tire, although some say it does not ride QUITE as quietly or smooth as the Michelins (this is probably subjective). They are also said to last longer due to this fact... I have not read anywhere that Toyo has issues... So I am still considering them. It would save me over $3K (depending on where you buy) over 8 tires.
Oh, the only thing people say about Toyo's is that due to the type of runner compounds they use, they smell like cow manure for a time... :poop:

And remember, I read this on the Internet, so it has to be true. :rolleyes:

Here are some discussions regarding Toyo ve Michelin

There are others comparisons but all seem to be using the same play book.

Thanks Joe. i did see those articles (and others) and agree that they all have the same theme…. Both are good tires, although Michelin is usually given the edge…but is it worth the added cost?

but is it worth the added cost?
It depends if "brand" gives you peace of mind. Also take into account the company's reputation, experience, time in production of tires, etc. etc. All elements an owner has to weigh.

On the flip side, if you save all that money you can justify $5K for a pair rettrobands :censored:

On the flip side, if you save all that money you can justify $5K for a pair rettrobands :censored:
That was definitely crossing my mind…

Latest resources

Back