Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Might buy a Thor Challenger 37kt tomorrow…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We bought our 2023 Jayco Seismic brand new last year and have had nothing but issues with it. (Thor owns Jayco, along with a good majority of other RV manufacturers). Pretty much from day 1 we had issues both big and small. Jayco rep wouldn't call us back until we got a lawyer and even then she just replied via email. We've been stuck with this thing while they attempt to fix it, it's been in the shop 3 times, mobile repair tech x1 and it needs to go back again.

Here's my main point: I know people say "all RV's will have a few issues" but over the last 20 years of my adult life by husband and I have owned 4 campers/RV's prior to this one. Every summer we took each of those camper/RV's up and down the Alaskan highways and back roads and except for 1 water leak in our tow behind and another water leak in a class A (which was 100% our fault) we NEVER had any issues what so ever. Now I'm not saying that RV's should have NO issues, I actually believe that "all RV's will have a few issues" and we did expect a few, but what I am saying is that they are not made the same any more. If we can venture all through the Alaskan wilderness for years without issues but can't take our brand new Jayco 40 minutes down the paved road without having to have the entire roof and end cap replaced, back ramp door replaced, back frame re-welded, patio ramp replaced, patio sliding glass door replaced, black tank replaced, toilet replaced, main A/C replaced, kitchen island replaced and sooooo much more, there is a problem!

My wife & i share your pain with a Brand New Coachman / Forest River CrossTrail 20XG. Bought it in 8/23 & have yet to use it. At dealerships for repairs for 12 weeks so far with electrical issues,,, and have yet to deal with the roof delaminating. Has turned into the biggest mistake of our Lives.

Last edited:
My wife & i share your pain with a Brand New Coachman / Forest River CrossTrail 20XG. Bought it in 8/23 & have yet to use it. At dealerships for repairs for 12 weeks so far with electrical issues,,, and have yet to deal with the roof delaminating. Has turned into the biggest mistake of our Lives.
I'm so sorry to hear that, really I am. You spend so much money, time and energy and can't even use what you bought. And the worst thing about it is that not having the thing you bought for 1-2-4-8 months is considered normal! It shouldn't be, you bought it! But just so you know, if you think you have a lemon law case (and it depends on the state you reside in/bought the RV in) there are lawyers out there that will take your case and the RV Manufacturer has to pay them, so nothing but time our of your pocket. Just saying...

I would go directly to Coachman warranty service dept. Get the factory to repair it. They are often better equipped and better prepared to deal with serious issues than a dealer.

We tried a gas coach once and it was a Thor Challenger 37'. If my memory is correct it was a 2015. We purchased it slightly used.

The Ford motor was okay and I could easily change my own oil which was a plus. It was a white knuckle driving experience with 15mph or higher crosswinds. I ended up having Sumo springs installed and some other suspension modifications done which helped. We never had any major issues with ours.

Some close friends of ours purchased a 2016 new Thor Challenger right after us. It was slightly shorter, maybe a 34 or 35 foot model. They still own it and have had a ton of issues from day one. Some of their major issues were the leveling jacks not working, which went on for about 3 years and countless trips to the shop, a major holding tank defect, the rear cap cracking and spider webbing, and their dual pane windows all fogging up. They would love to sell it but the Thor Challengers depreciate so quickly that they are upside down on it.

My advise, have it inspected after you agree on a price about 25 or 30% less than what they are asking. RVs are not flying off the shelf right now and it is a buyers market.

Latest resources

Back