Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Might buy a Thor Challenger 37kt tomorrow…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Found one with around 46,000 miles/2013 for $50k. Added with all the extras like warranty, a package, taxes, etc…they want $62k walking out the door.

The warranty includes everything like cosmetic chassis to engine/drivetrain etc…with a $250 detuctable for 36m and 36k miles.

2 questions:

1. Good deal? (Might not be able to answer. It’s ok. Say what you can.)

2. Do these motor homes have a good rep/reliability? Post personal experience of want/need.

Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with this rig but as far as the warranty goes make sure you review it closely. My experience I had purchased a Full coverage warranty bumper to bumper driveline the hole bit for my truck. I had an engine issue and needed a new engine. No problem I told dealership go ahead and gave them the info on the warranty. Dealer called me back to tell me that the warranty would only cover $5000 of the $15000 crate motor cost. I called warranty company and they said well it was in the fine print notes. Also this culminated in the end of the warranty as it maxed out the benefit. Just be careful. I was uninformed and had never purchased an extended or secondary warranty.

To get a "blue book" price on an RV I go to JDPower.com. I tend to try and go below blue book with all the taxes etc. included. With 50K miles check your wear items like tires and brakes.. If the tires look good, but are old you need new ones. Brakes can be expensive too. The previous owner of mine paid $3700 for brakes rotors etc. and $3200 in tires. If a dealer is below blue book, he may have gotten it from an auction and found issues or it could be the market is dropping. Who knows. Anyway, good luck and hope it all pans out and you get a good rig.

I have no personal experience with any Thor product but the web is loaded with some unfavorable stories.

I have no personal experience with any Thor product but the web is loaded with some unfavorable stories.
True, but being a 2013 I look at many of the issues indicted in reviews might have been fixed by previous owners. Having 50k miles on it shows that it was used and not sitting around. Any unit your buying really needs to be looked at hard and test everything!

If you look at any brand you will find many bad reviews and complaints. Many are written by people who had no idea what they were getting into when they bought a house on wheels. Most people do not post or write reviews on item they are happy with. Read the review and see what similarities are the subject of the reviews. We all know there are clinkers made occasionally by all brands. If possible talk to the previous owners especially if the unit is at a dealer. Someone who traded may be more apt to give you the reel story on the RV.

Use JD Power for book and RV Trader to get an idea how they are listed in your area. Good luck.

Get a certified inspector to inspect it. Either way, you will be glad you did.

The current NADA shows Used Retail at $62,320. This includes all equipment that would be considered standard. The generator and awnings are part of that.
The NADA program we pay for is updated 6 times a year and this is where lenders look. If you are interested, we have service contracts available from a couple very solid companies.
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

We bought our 2023 Jayco Seismic brand new last year and have had nothing but issues with it. (Thor owns Jayco, along with a good majority of other RV manufacturers). Pretty much from day 1 we had issues both big and small. Jayco rep wouldn't call us back until we got a lawyer and even then she just replied via email. We've been stuck with this thing while they attempt to fix it, it's been in the shop 3 times, mobile repair tech x1 and it needs to go back again.

Here's my main point: I know people say "all RV's will have a few issues" but over the last 20 years of my adult life by husband and I have owned 4 campers/RV's prior to this one. Every summer we took each of those camper/RV's up and down the Alaskan highways and back roads and except for 1 water leak in our tow behind and another water leak in a class A (which was 100% our fault) we NEVER had any issues what so ever. Now I'm not saying that RV's should have NO issues, I actually believe that "all RV's will have a few issues" and we did expect a few, but what I am saying is that they are not made the same any more. If we can venture all through the Alaskan wilderness for years without issues but can't take our brand new Jayco 40 minutes down the paved road without having to have the entire roof and end cap replaced, back ramp door replaced, back frame re-welded, patio ramp replaced, patio sliding glass door replaced, black tank replaced, toilet replaced, main A/C replaced, kitchen island replaced and sooooo much more, there is a problem!

Latest resources

Back