RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Buick Enclave
Finally got out of Florida to see family up in Maryland.

Two hours into our trip, MIL lit up. Has happened a few times before, when idling for period of time in hot weather. Continued on and then the engine light with exclamation point came on. Pulled over at next rest stop and call Freightliner. They said the fault code was a nox sensor and I needed to get to a shop as soon as possible. I turned around and headed home as it was a Sunday.

Got into a Cummins shop first thing on Monday morning. Asked the tech if possible clearing the codes and updating software might cure the problem. He smirked and told me to stay off the internet.

He hooked into the computer port at the engine and downloaded the codes. Said I had tens of fault codes, mostly chassis error codes. He said he would clear the error codes and update the software and see where we were....duh!

Sure enough all cleared and updated, test drove and no errors at all and off I went. Over a thousand miles and no MIL at all.

Lessons learned
1. Sometimes what you read on the internet is TRUE!
2. I had just been to FL in Gaffney two months earlier. They obviously do not hook up the engine to their computers to check whether there have been codes thrown or to check for software upgrade
3. Upgrade of software should be done regularly? Opinions welcome

I had two nox sensors replaced about two months apart. They both threw engine lights. Went to FL where they replaced, updated software and cleared the faults. Nothing after that. You are correct they won’t check for fault codes and or update software unless you ask or insist.

Was just in Gaffney, no notations on checking for updates, period. Wish I had seen this before we left. Not throwing any codes either. Learned the hard way, turn key to run position, wait for all the idiot lights/buzzers to stop, then start engine. If I don't give it time to wake up, get low battery warning sometimes.

We are not on a FL chassis, but we always turn the key to the on position and wait until the Check Engine light goes out before attempting to start the engine. FL or Spartan, the system needs to "wake up" before going to work.

TJ

It may be prudent to insist that Codes be checked and cleared, if appropriate, at any service appointment.
Just servicing a drivetrain, disconnecting and replacing or testing parts, can set codes.
We had a number of Codes set by just quickly cycling the ignition key with a somewhat low chassis battery. One of the chassis computer units had not synchronized quickly enough setting a series of Codes.
After numerous discussions and an appointment at a Service Center, Cleared the codes, all is well.
I now have a inexpensive Code reader and the Cell# of a Factory Tech just to be able to verify any future Codes before an erroneous Code causes me to make another appointment, and waste a day at the Service Center.

Wouldn’t it be displayed on the LBCU if you simply do the Diagnostics from the Captains Seat?

There are menus to get codes for Engine, Transmission, Tag Axle, ABS sensors...etc.

Hi Charlie!

It didnt/doesn't. I went through it with the FL tech over the phone. Only one code showed up and at that he couldn't find the fmi meaning. He went on google and was surprised he couldn't find it. I certainly was surprised that he was looking for google to tell him the meaning of the FL code.

I brought it to Cummins in West Palm,,,,I know you are familiar with them! They hooked it up and came back telling me there were tens of fault codes and most of the were on the chassis side. They "calibrated" and updated and no new MIL or CEL since.

Now my car is a different story....it derated today!

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Hi Charlie!

It didnt/doesn't. I went through it with the FL tech over the phone. Only one code showed up and at that he couldn't find the fmi meaning. He went on google and was surprised he couldn't find it. I certainly was surprised that he was looking for google to tell him the meaning of the FL code.

I brought it to Cummins in West Palm,,,,I know you are familiar with them! They hooked it up and came back telling me there were tens of fault codes and most of the were on the chassis side. They "calibrated" and updated and no new MIL or CEL since.

Now my car is a different story....it derated today!

Dang Corey...you’re just having all the luck.

Wow...it’s a shame the onboard computer talks a language the FL guys can’t. When we had our fuel injector problem long ago...the tech went on and on about how difficult the Cummins is to troubleshoot compared to Detroit Diesel. All software/firmware related.

Hope the mechanicals all get worked out.

Good luck! Have fun in Virginia!!!

Charlie

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back