Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Yesterday we drove south on I 65 in AL to I 10 East. The Detour transition is not as well marked as one might hope.
You can go to I 10 end up on West and aU Turn, not ideal. Or you can snake through the industrial area through Africatown, a real town not a slur, to access a service road and eventually entrance to East I 10.
A bit tricky but we chose the detour through Town.
The Mobile River docks are very aromatic. Smells like crude oil and a mix of industrial chemicals.

IMG_1814.jpeg

There is a really interesting park in Theodore, which is considered part of Mobile, AL, and when you pull up, the first words are what have I done? It looks tight, but they are the nicest people, and they help you get positioned into a spot. There's nothing like nice Alabama hospitality, but don't bother discussing college football around there. It's all about Roll Tide!

That exchange is a bit confusing. Also, what you’re not told by your nav system is that you can continue on I-65S to the end where it intersects I-10. It’s a little longer but easier.

Yesterday we drove south on I 65 in AL to I 10 East. The Detour transition is not as well marked as one might hope.
You can go to I 10 end up on West and aU Turn, not ideal. Or you can snake through the industrial area through Africatown, a real town not a slur, to access a service road and eventually entrance to East I 10.
A bit tricky but we chose the detour through Town.
The Mobile River docks are very aromatic. Smells like crude oil and a mix of industrial chemicals.

View attachment 25322

My old stomping grounds (born there, lived there 1944-1994). Worked on the waterfront, boarding ships, for a decade, and frankly miss it. Aromatic? Indeed. Haven't been through that intersection lately and unaware of detours, but the Africatown Bridge, formerly the Cochran Bridge, is a simple, if long, detour to the 10-65 intersection. NEW(ISH): If you are going or coming into or through Mobile via US98 into or from central Mississippi, there is a new road that bypasses the highly-congested and not-so-safe portion of 98 from Mobile to the Mississippi line. Westbound, take I-65 N to AL 158 (about 3 miles) and 158 (good rural 2-lane) to the Mississippi line and four-lane US98. Eastbound, AL 158 angles off to the left just into Alabama.

The first contractors to build the new Africatown Bridge found out half-way through they didn't know how to finish it, got booted, and a second bridge contractor was called in to complete.

My old stomping grounds (born there, lived there 1944-1994). Worked on the waterfront, boarding ships, for a decade, and frankly miss it. Aromatic? Indeed. Haven't been through that intersection lately and unaware of detours, but the Africatown Bridge, formerly the Cochran Bridge, is a simple, if long, detour to the 10-65 intersection. NEW(ISH): If you are going or coming into or through Mobile via US98 into or from central Mississippi, there is a new road that bypasses the highly-congested and not-so-safe portion of 98 from Mobile to the Mississippi line. Westbound, take I-65 N to AL 158 (about 3 miles) and 158 (good rural 2-lane) to the Mississippi line and four-lane US98. Eastbound, AL 158 angles off to the left just into Alabama.

The first contractors to build the new Africatown Bridge found out half-way through they didn't know how to finish it, got booted, and a second bridge contractor was called in to complete.
Hi, Bernard!

Latest resources

Back