Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What I saw getting my tires checked was amazing.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BGMAC

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Georgetown XL M-369DS
RV Length
37ft
Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
This really isn’t about maintenance, but how a man can overcome obstacles.
Getting my RV ready for my Alaska trip I went J&G tire center which is kind of out in the country and nothing fancy at all. I checked in for my appointment having to wait for the owners son to finish his job so he could get to mine. I was watching an older man working on mounting about 16 tires on new rims. I’d see him go to the pile of rims, pick on and put it on the machine. Then go to the stack of tires pick one, go back to the machine and begin mounting it. Easy going and precise in his movements, everything going back in its place when done. I never really seen anyone be so exact in his tool placement when working and that’s what drew my attention to him.
I finally realized he was totally blind. To check the tire pressure he would feel to see how far the gauge popped up with his finger. Once done he would stack the tire to the side.

Well the son of the owner was ready for my RV so I pulled it in the side of the shop for big rigs. He began work and we started talking. “Old school, they let customers in the shop while work is being done”. I mentioned what I saw upstairs and thought it was quite impressive. His reply shocked me. He said; That’s my dad. He built this place 35 years ago from scratch. Started 2 years after he went blind. He has never seen his creation. He memorizes his inventory and pricing and knows everything that’s going on in the shop.

The man knows his business and has a huge repeat customer base. People coming as far as Florida to get tires for their RV or car. He paid for his children’s college education, and the one son working on my vehicle has gone to specialty schools on tires.

It was probably the best time I had talking to this guy. We spent maybe 3 hrs on a 40 min job. He never tried to rush me or the job. I do know a bunch more about tires now too.

I’ll be a repeat customer. Oh yea, front tires rotation and tire trueing $48.00.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
This really isn’t about maintenance, but how a man can overcome obstacles.
Getting my RV ready for my Alaska trip I went J&G tire center which is kind of out in the country and nothing fancy at all. I checked in for my appointment having to wait for the owners son to finish his job so he could get to mine. I was watching an older man working on mounting about 16 tires on new rims. I’d see him go to the pile of rims, pick on and put it on the machine. Then go to the stack of tires pick one, go back to the machine and begin mounting it. Easy going and precise in his movements, everything going back in its place when done. I never really seen anyone be so exact in his tool placement when working and that’s what drew my attention to him.
I finally realized he was totally blind. To check the tire pressure he would feel to see how far the gauge popped up with his finger. Once done he would stack the tire to the side.

Well the son of the owner was ready for my RV so I pulled it in the side of the shop for big rigs. He began work and we started talking. “Old school, they let customers in the shop while work is being done”. I mentioned what I saw upstairs and thought it was quite impressive. His reply shocked me. He said; That’s my dad. He built this place 35 years ago from scratch. Started 2 years after he went blind. He has never seen his creation. He memorizes his inventory and pricing and knows everything that’s going on in the shop.

The man knows his business and has a huge repeat customer base. People coming as far as Florida to get tires for their RV or car. He paid for his children’s college education, and the one son working on my vehicle has gone to specialty schools on tires.

It was probably the best time I had talking to this guy. We spent maybe 3 hrs on a 40 min job. He never tried to rush me or the job. I do know a bunch more about tires now too.

I’ll be a repeat customer. Oh yea, front tires rotation and tire trueing $48.00.
A great story and inspiring, Thank you for sharing it.

Latest resources

Back