Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

UCURon

RVF Newbee
I'm new to this forum, we just bought a 2020 Kounty Star that includes a WIFI Ranger SKY4 Pack Router. Now I'd like to set up a mobile cell system to connect to the router. I'm told two different theories. One is to simply use a cell phone with a data plan and another is to purchase a "jetpack" to use in place of the SKY4 Pack Router. I'd like to use the SKY4 Pack Router if possible, it would be cheaper is I can use the cell phone with a data plan (Xfinity?).

Technically you can using something like Google Voice, but your experience is going to be pretty limited.

I'm new to this forum, we just bought a 2020 Kounty Star that includes a WIFI Ranger SKY4 Pack Router. Now I'd like to set up a mobile cell system to connect to the router. I'm told two different theories. One is to simply use a cell phone with a data plan and another is to purchase a "jetpack" to use in place of the SKY4 Pack Router. I'd like to use the SKY4 Pack Router if possible, it would be cheaper is I can use the cell phone with a data plan (Xfinity?).device shown in the photo below? with an optional cellular modem upgrade, at least based on what I’m seeing. Here’s a link to the
Have you logged into the Sky4 to verify it’s configuration now? https://wifiranger.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/wifiranger_quickstart_sky_lostdocs_rev8.pdf will get you started.

it appears the cellular modem is an option, but you’ll need to check the config. If there is no modem installed, you can add one, OR, get a mifi unit like the ATT Nighthawk MR1, or a Verizon Jetpack etc, and connect it to the USB port of the Sky4 router in the coach.

The modem upgrade appears to go in the rooftop unit, https://mitocorp.com/product/wifiranger-lte-sky-series-upgrade/

Once you’ve confirmed you have, or have added cellular capabilities, this is a pretty capable unit that would enable you to mix cellular data with campground provided WiFi for internet access for your coach. You could likely get even better flexibility by combining the onboard modem, with a mifi unit attached via USB to have 2 different carriers for cellular service. You’ll find that multiple carriers is valuable as you move to areas where coverage is limited.

Here is what I experience and know. The WIFI Ranger is slow in my book connecting to any free WIFI service. The fastest I ever got was actually at Newmar. I can connect it up to my cell phone using it as hotspot, again, sometimes it takes and sometimes it does not. Some of that slowness I believe is all the metal in the structure of the coach. I have tried different places in the coach next to window, in the front dashboard, sometimes that makes difference sometimes not. I have 4Glte based phone. I will not go out and chase technology (meaning 5G) because it going to take years for it to be installed everywhere. The little berg we live in now, well, my phone will get broken working in the yard long before we have it here.
Distance from a repeater in the park also makes a difference, the MHz of the Signal also makes difference. When it works, it works fine, more often than not, I skip it, and go direct from PC to the phone. For me, working in the Tech industry for 35 years, getting burned out and so when we travel, just don't care too much if I stay in touch with everyone, so tell them to not send me anything and I will touch base as needed. There is a couple of updates which the factory can do to the firmware, you may also be able to do them, but check to make sure your system needs to be updated first. if it don't and you force it, maybe it won't work after that. Attached are two manuals I have concerning it, one form the NW Representative of the company marked "good", and the other is the official manual. To whit, there are some YouTube Videos on the product, I urge you to watch them if you have bandwidth to do so. I have program to copy them to PC so I have them on my PC for reference. You can PM me if you need additional information. Now, If I had it to do over again, I would NOT have gotten it or the DTV Roof Top Dish, and saved the money. Down the road, suspect with 5G, the WIFI Ranger will be obsolete, and I aint paying for TV again ever, so it was waste of time. One day, and don't know when some big company is going to put satellites into the sky and everyone can subscribe to internet, but I may be dead and gone prior to that. Welcome to our home away from home.

Attachments

• WiFi Ranger - User Manual-Rev11.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • WiFi Ranger Setup-Good.pdf
    831.3 KB · Views: 9

Latest resources

Back