Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Interesting read this morning in Austin, TX paper.

Here are the most dangerous states to drive through overall:

California, 20.3 fatal crashes per 100 miles

Florida, 19.6 fatal crashes per 100 miles

Texas, 15.4 fatal crashes per 100 miles

What are the deadliest interstates in the U.S.?

Here's the ranking of the 10 most dangerous interstates in the country:

I-4, Florida

I-35E, Texas

I-45, Texas

I-30, Arkansas and Texas

I-24, Tennessee, Kentucky and Illinois

I-5, California, Oregon, and Washington

I-95, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine

I-78, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

I-93, New Hampshire and Massachusetts

I-26, North and South Carolina

That's sorta unfair to lump I-5 and I-95 in with the rest of those. I'll admit that I don't know the full length of them, but I do know that 5 and 95 are, if not full length, doggone close running north/south. It's a given that the more ground they cover, the more fatalities will occur.

Just my opine.....Roger

That's sorta unfair to lump I-5 and I-95 in with the rest of those. I'll admit that I don't know the full length of them, but I do know that 5 and 95 are, if not full length, doggone close running north/south. It's a given that the more ground they cover, the more fatalities will occur.

Just my opine.....Roger
I haven't read the article but is it based on total number of crashes or crashes per 100 miles? It would also be interesting to see if there are more crashes in one area vs another and, if so, what's different about that area (e.g. states with higher speed limits?).

Just my opine.....Roger
And they left out I-10 why do you suppose that is? Last time I looked coast to coast was a greater distance then border to border. Then I didn't do any calculations!🤔

Driven all of these roads through the years,

I-95 from bridge collapse, Mianus River, in the 80s, to the most lethal section around Stamford, CT. Rates high on the list.

Ring road 285 around Atlanta with its running gun battles, the one I witnessed first hand, bad guy had a fully automatic rifle. Started in a gas station he car jacked someone and headed to 285 during rush hour. He got stuck in traffic, so he ran between stopped traffic shooting at pursuing police, witnessed in 2009. Not a fun time for anyone.

Drive this one many times a year now, I-4 with crazy volume of traffic loaded with tired truckers, lost tourist, and blasted party goers,

TX "Rural Freeway" speed limit of 85 mph, enough said....

then you get the high speed chases on Arkansas I-30 with Trooper Byrd. Luckily we haven't witnessed any of those..

We try never to drive after dark and ideally transit very few urban areas. Interstates are dangerous places...

Maine can only be in there for Moose, Deer, and Mosquito collision rates. Most of 95 above Portland is barren most of the year.

I can't believe I-40 in AZ is not on the list. EVERY time we drive on it from Kingman to Holbrook there are multiple wrecks or spots where you can see the remains where a wreck recently occured. And I do mean every time.

Latest resources

Back