Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hikerfan

RVF Newbee
I have a 1995 Roadtrek Class B 17' motorhome. It came with a tow hitch which is mounted to the under frame.
I want to haul a 400# motorcycle on a carrier. I would like any comments if you think this is a good idea. Adding additional weight, etc.
I look forward to hearing your comments

Not familiar with this particular Class B RV but I am very familiar with building trucks and figuring out how long of a body can go on them based of the measurements of the chassis. This is what I do for a living.

Since this thing is a class B that means it's on a van chassis correct? And since it is 17' long I'm assuming that's the length of the living quarters behind the drivers seat? If so can you tell me how long is the body BEHIND the rear axle? (the AF). Some of the class B and C RV's I have seen have a lot of AF behind the rear axle. If you mount an carrier (100 lbs?) and put a 400 lb motorcycle behind the rear axle, the longer the distance is behind the rear axle the more of a "lever" you create.. So your motorcycle may weigh 400 lbs but if it's far enough behind the rear axle it may take 600 lbs or 800 lbs off the front axle. (think of a see-saw on the playground when you were a kid). This will make the front end light and will effect steering, especially in the rain or snow. So be careful. Also, you need to be sure another 500 lbs isn't going to overload the rear axle or the tires on the rear. I'm assuming it's a single rear wheel van? There's no telling how much the RV conversion weighs so adding 500 lbs may not be a big deal or it may put you over all the limits of your tires and suspension in the rear.

Is there anything in your owners manual that tells you how much tongue weight can go on that hitch? It there anything stamped on the hitch itself?

Is there anything in your owners manual that tells you how much tongue weight can go on that hitch? It there anything stamped on the hitch itself?
Most vans big enough to convert to an RV would have a class 3 hitch. (same as a 1/2 ton pickup truck.)

My son put a Kawasaki KLR 650 on a rack on his 30’ 5th wheel and the weight transfer really messed wirh handling. So while it will probably be fine, as stated above, the more overhang, the more you’ll notice it up front.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back