Question 2024 Dutchstar fuel economy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
They do go up as you get more miles.

I use Road Trip app, saves data to iCloud account instead of another.

Last year headed to FL for winter.

IMG_0504.jpeg

If you do much traveling in the mountainous west expect to see at least a 10-12% drop from the numbers you are seeing at a minimum.
Yep, we averaged 6 through Wyoming last fall, going west, about 8 heading east, strong westerly winds in Wyoming

I try to stay at 65-66mph but can't seem to break 7.25 mpg and at about 40K total miles on the rig now.....
Rig runs well, no DEF head issues, etc and the rig has been reliable. I can't complain and don't just don't worry about it.
At stop lights, when it turns green, I do punch it which doesn't help.
I mean I wish I gain more but let’s look at the math. Now below is after a couple of cocktails...

8000 average miles driven over 5 yrs

8000 @ 7.25 mpg equates to 1103 gals of fuel burned
8000 @ 8.25 mpg equates to 970 gals of fuel burned (would love to get 8.25!)

So we're looking at a 133 gallon burn difference. At 133 gals x $4.50/gal cost of diesel I'm looking at a $598.50 difference....

Last edited:
Yep, we averaged 6 through Wyoming last fall, going west, about 8 heading east, strong westerly winds in Wyoming
Strong wind current from the west, always, from the Mississippi to the coast. Also the rise in elevation. The trip home should almost average out!!!

I did not read this entire thread, only the first 5-6 posts. & m.p.g. is great mileage , in my mind. Unfortunately I would never see it, I simply can not do this 60-65 aprox mph. I guarantee my mileage would be more like 6-6.5 at best.try 55-60, you'll probably get 8+ mpg.

Following I copied and pasted from the TIRE EASY web page stating MAX cold air pressure on the Hercules 901-H 14 ply trailer tire. Again this is MAX Cold air pressure. at 110 psi these tires are rated at 3750 lbs per tire! That relates to 1500lbs. 4 tires. My 5th wheel weighs 13000lb + fully loaded with 3000lb+ of that on the pin, I scaled it. So that means approx 10,000 lbs total on the 4 tires.......I run 90lbs cold. Tires have 0 squat. They have around 10,000 miles on them and show perfect even wear. By wear I mean with the naked eye I can't see any!! Again any tires I have read say MAX cold air pressure. My truck, 2020 F-250 say MAX cold AP 80. Not towing it will beat your teeth out at 80 cold psi. I run 55 cold empty 70 towing. 44,500 miles on tires. I could get another 10,000 if I wanted.

Max Single Air Pressure(PSI)

The maximum air pressure this tire will support. This does not represent the amount of air pressure your tires should have at all times. Consult with your owner's manual to determine the best air pressure you should use for your vehicle.

You must of been using Premium at those prices or was it diesel? Also curious, speed???
That was the pump price for diesel and they were discounted after using the EFS card.

Normally run between 60 and 65 mph when traveling.

@Joe Hogan I suggest performing this test. Diesel fuel, especially at the high rate of a truck pump can generate a lot of foam and easily throw off your mileage calculations.

Stop 1: At about 20 gals prior to full slow down your fill speed to about half. With around 10 gals remaining, slow it further. Goal is to minimize foam. Maybe even wait a minute or so and then try to get as much diesel in as possible to ensure a full tank.

Stop 2: Repeat above. Now measure your mileage. Report results.

@Joe Hogan I suggest performing this test. Diesel fuel, especially at the high rate of a truck pump can generate a lot of foam and easily throw off your mileage calculations.

Stop 1: At about 20 gals prior to full slow down your fill speed to about half. With around 10 gals remaining, slow it further. Goal is to minimize foam. Maybe even wait a minute or so and then try to get as much diesel in as possible to ensure a full tank.

Stop 2: Repeat above. Now measure your mileage. Report results.
Damn you would bring up tank level!!!

Latest resources

Back