Chassis
N/A
Engine
N/A
TOW/TOAD
8,200 Lbs
Fulltimer
No
I recently drove down I81 from Syracuse, New York to Hershey, Pennsylvania and also a stint in South Carolina and the roads were brutal. Anyone know if a shock upgrade will help and what brand is best? I have a 2020 Newmar Baystar 3616.

It depends on what kind of problem you are trying to resolve. Your BayStar is built on a Ford F53 chassis and many owners do chassis upgrades to improve handling. If you are just trying to smooth out a rough ride, good shocks can help with secondary bounce, but they won’t smooth out a rough road or do much for sway.

There are numerous suspension upgrades that many Ford-chassis owners have used to improve overall handling. Use the RVF search function for something like “F53 handling improvement” and you should find some discussion on the subject.

Koni shocks are good and are frequently used on motorhome suspension upgrades.

TJ

I installed Koni FSD shocks on the F53, they were a noticeable improvement of the OEM Bilstein.

It depends on what kind of problem you are trying to resolve. Your BayStar is built on a Ford F53 chassis and many owners do chassis upgrades to improve handling. If you are just trying to smooth out a rough ride, good shocks can help with secondary bounce, but they won’t smooth out a rough road or do much for sway.

There are numerous suspension upgrades that many Ford-chassis owners have used to improve overall handling. Use the RVF search function for something like “F53 handling improvement” and you should find some discussion on the subject.

Koni shocks are good and are frequently used on motorhome suspension upgrades.

TJ
Thanks, I already put a Safety+ and track bar system on it and it smooths out the sway and blowing around. I just want to smooth out the ride and not be so bouncy. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of stress on the interior when we go down bumpy highways.

Thanks, I already put a Safety+ and track bar system on it and it smooths out the sway and blowing around. I just want to smooth out the ride and not be so bouncy. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of stress on the interior when we go down bumpy highways.
Sounds like adding the Koni FSD shocks as suggested by @Joe Goodxrvn might just do what you want.

TJ

We just passed 30k on our 2018 Bay Star and I’ve noticed that on certain bumps it feels like the shocks are extending all the way. I need to look into the Koni shocks as well.

KONI shocks will make a substantial difference in damping action & help improve ride too!
Replaced the brand new "OEM" shocks on my 2020 Canyon Star, with Koni shocks, while in Napanee for "FPU"! And I did take it for 160 mile "test drive" before making any changes. Also added Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, an Ulra-Trac track bar, & added Sumo front springs!
Oh what an improvement over the stock suspension! Not a "DP" ride but huge improvement over any "stock" gas coach!
I may bite the bullet & install "Liquid Spring" suspension, front & rear, expensive, but will be worth it!:)

Latest resources

Back