Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I made backing plates to hold the nuts…

Screwed a RAM track on the A-pillar
Adjustable no less! SWEET! Nicely done. Any chance of sharing the files for those of us with 3D printers?

Best,
-Mark

How difficult is it to remove the A pillar cover? Getting the backing blocks printed. Thank you for sharing...

Ours had a row of screws along the near side flange. I took those screws out,,, and only slightly deformed the Plastic A-pillar shroud…

Here is a quick run down…

1) Hold your Ram Track onto the A-pillar to get an idea of where you want to mount it.

2) Put a strip of blue painters tape on the A-pillar and mark where the screw holes are on the Ram Track.

3) Carefully remove the screws securing the aft edge of the A-pillar…very careful NOT to loose any back there, where you can’t find them again.

4) Check for clearance..to make sure there isn’t any obstructions to worry about as far as the backing plate is concerned.

5) Slide a metal taping knife or some other piece like metal flashing behind the a-pillar, but over any wires. This is to make sure that when you run your drill bit thru the plastic shroud that you absolutely DO NOT hit your wires back there. That would be a bad day!!!

6) Drill the mounting screw holes…then remove the metal taping knife or flashing…you can also remove the blue painters tape you used to mark the holes.

7) Load the backing plate holes with the correct size Nyloc nuts. The backing plate will hold them so they don’t turn. Make sure that the nuts squeeze into the plate securely, or and/or add some tape over the nuts. The backing plate is designed to help you in three ways… distribute the force of the items you are mounting… to prevent you from dropping the nuts where they would be difficult to recover…and to hold the nuts so they don’t just free turn while you are trying to tighten the screws.

8) Ready the backing plate into position and hand start one screw. If you need to use a longer screw,,, which you can change out later. The idea is to fix the plate so, you don’t have to worry about it falling down back there. Once you have a screw started…it just takes a smal bit of alignment to get the second screw in. At that point the others are just a matter of screwing them in as the backing plate should be held in alignment by the first two screws.

9) Gently and evenly tighten the screws so the pressure is distributed evenly.

10) Same with the second plate… depending on the length of your track. I designed it for the 9” track.

11) Maybe vacuum up the plastic bits…and then reattach the a-pillar with the screws your removed in step 3).

Enjoy…you’ll have to figure out how long you want the arms… I used longer ones on the GPS, just to make it easier for me to reach while driving.

Another big benefit is that my co-pilot can see these cross cockpit…

Enjoy!

Ours had a row of screws along the near side flange. I took those screws out,,, and only slightly deformed the Plastic A-pillar shroud…

Here is a quick run down…

1) Hold your Ram Track onto the A-pillar to get an idea of where you want to mount it.

2) Put a strip of blue painters tape on the A-pillar and mark where the screw holes are on the Ram Track.

3) Carefully remove the screws securing the aft edge of the A-pillar…very careful NOT to loose any back there, where you can’t find them again.

4) Check for clearance..to make sure there isn’t any obstructions to worry about as far as the backing plate is concerned.

5) Slide a metal taping knife or some other piece like metal flashing behind the a-pillar, but over any wires. This is to make sure that when you run your drill bit thru the plastic shroud that you absolutely DO NOT hit your wires back there. That would be a bad day!!!

6) Drill the mounting screw holes…then remove the metal taping knife or flashing…you can also remove the blue painters tape you used to mark the holes.

7) Load the backing plate holes with the correct size Nyloc nuts. The backing plate will hold them so they don’t turn. Make sure that the nuts squeeze into the plate securely, or and/or add some tape over the nuts. The backing plate is designed to help you in three ways… distribute the force of the items you are mounting… to prevent you from dropping the nuts where they would be difficult to recover…and to hold the nuts so they don’t just free turn while you are trying to tighten the screws.

8) Ready the backing plate into position and hand start one screw. If you need to use a longer screw,,, which you can change out later. The idea is to fix the plate so, you don’t have to worry about it falling down back there. Once you have a screw started…it just takes a smal bit of alignment to get the second screw in. At that point the others are just a matter of screwing them in as the backing plate should be held in alignment by the first two screws.

9) Gently and evenly tighten the screws so the pressure is distributed evenly.

10) Same with the second plate… depending on the length of your track. I designed it for the 9” track.

11) Maybe vacuum up the plastic bits…and then reattach the a-pillar with the screws your removed in step 3).

Enjoy…you’ll have to figure out how long you want the arms… I used longer ones on the GPS, just to make it easier for me to reach while driving.

Another big benefit is that my co-pilot can see these cross cockpit…

Enjoy!

Same idea, different approach. I removed the screws that attach the A-pillar cover and attached my Ram track there only adding 2 additional screws. While only one side of the track is attached, it holds a garmin 890, RVI monitor, and an ipad. I have used this for over a year with no issues. When i get my unit back from the shop I will post pictures.

Same idea, different approach. I removed the screws that attach the A-pillar cover and attached my Ram track there only adding 2 additional screws. While only one side of the track is attached, it holds a garmin 890, RVI monitor, and an ipad. I have used this for over a year with no issues. When i get my unit back from the shop I will post pictures.
That works…but it would probably subconsciously drive me crazy to see screw holes without screws. It’s the pilot in me. When doing a walk around…we look for missing rivets and screws. An eye for symmetry. I found a missing bolt the other day on the motorhome while greasing the undercarriage. It holds then metal housing that shields the Driver’s side fuel filler hose. I have to find a matching bolt to replace the one that fell out or was never put in. 🧐

Last edited:
We have our 1090 at the front of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. We used a 3" 3M disk works perfect.

Amazon.com
20240716_124729.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_6289.jpeg
IMG_6288.jpeg
Here is my setup for my 890

I used bean bag..has no velcro to stick in place. Sits on dash edge, bean bag corner folded over edge and stays in place. Boss lady and lift and do what ever while we're driving, plus camera is centered. I use one also on driver side dash for my RVI monitor, when I get parked for winter in Fla they go in a cabinet and nothing on dash.

Latest resources

Back