Chassis
E-450 Ford
Engine
6.8L V10
TOW/TOAD
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Fulltimer
No
We are planning our trip from South Texas to Yellowstone, in late Auguast and staying a few nights in the Mt. Rushmore area and then on to Yellowstone. We will be staying at the Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone. I would like to avoid any sketchy and/or extreme driving roads. Any and all recommendations on a route from Mt Rushmore to YS would be appreciated. Stops along the way and any worthwhile side trips along this route. Also, we plan to stay overnight somewhere along the route again any recommendations would be appreciated.

32’ Class C E450 towing a VW Jetta.

Attachments

• Coachmen 31 MB_2.jpg
    Coachmen 31 MB_2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3
We are planning our trip from South Texas to Yellowstone, in late Auguast and staying a few nights in the Mt. Rushmore area and then on to Yellowstone. We will be staying at the Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone. I would like to avoid any sketchy and/or extreme driving roads. Any and all recommendations on a route from Mt Rushmore to YS would be appreciated. Stops along the way and any worthwhile side trips along this route. Also, we plan to stay overnight somewhere along the route again any recommendations would be appreciated.

32’ Class C E450 towing a VW Jetta.
You will be taking highway 90 From Rushmore to Buffalo. No issues with that road....just not much to see along the way. From Buffalo to Ten Sleep (highway 16) and from Ten Sleep to Fishing Bridge (Highways 30 and 14) are roads I have not used. A very interesting stop is about 100 miles north of Buffalo on I 90 is the Little Big Horn Battlefield site AKA Custer's Last Stand. If you do want to take the detour and want to stay at a nearby park to make the visit worth while 7th Ranch RV Park | Montana | Home is the closest. We have not stayed there so I can comment on it quality or value. I don't think you will be disappointed with the visit to Little big Horn,

Safe travels

Darrell

Thank You, I appreciate your input…
I should have added some input on your visit to Rushmore. Please do not see Mount Rushmore without first driving the Iron Mountain Road to the monument. It will mean so much more. Make sure you drive the road in your Towed as your Motor Home will not fit some areas. You might also want to drive the "Wildlife Loop Road" while you are in the area. Not far from Rushmore is the town of Deadwood. It still has some of the "old west" feel to it but we have been to much better (The best in our opinion is Tombstone). What there is there though, is the Mount Moriah Cemetery where Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane are buried. Another detour you may want to take is a visit to the Devil's Tower National Monument. If you remember seeing the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" it will bring back memories. There is a very nice State Park Campground at the foot of the tower and nearby is a KOA. The walking trail around the Tower is easy and interesting.

Don’t forget Crazy Horse, Devils Tower. There is a lot to see up there. Years ago when we went we had a 36ft 5th wheel. We left Mount Rushmore and headed to Red Lodge Mt. there was a nice KOA there. We met family and then head to Yellowstone through the Beartooth Pass. It gets your blood pumping, but we had no problem. Once at the top it is beautiful and several camping spots up there.

what ever direction you go, you’ll love it.

Sounds like a great trip. We went to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore last year. We also stayed at Fishing Bridge. It's a great place to camp. Our only regret was that it was our only location, and Yellowstone is so incredibly large, that you can't see it all from one location. It's one of those places where you really need two bases. But like us (also a 32ft Class C, towing), it's difficult to find a lot of campsites large enough for us. We also prefer at least electricity. While at Mt Rushmore, please make sure that you see it at night. They have a lovely presentation, that I felt was really moving. So glad that we saw it.
Best of luck with your travels.
L

Latest resources

Back