Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI My Mistake...went to a local RV Repair Shop in Sebastian FL.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
This local repair shop is family owned, been there for years. I've used them in the past for general service items with mixed results.

Well this install went very wrong, after three tries they still screwed it up. Charged me over $700 to install, fix the install, and fix it again all inside of one week.

I asked to have a new pump installed and explained to the Tech that I wanted a very basic 1/2" ID hose loop from inlet to exit.

This is the jungle gym I got! Missing pre-filter screen, 3/8" line, 9 additional 90 degree fittings. All this ended up with low pressure, endless pump cycling during use, and 18 additional opportunities for leaks.

Not A Happy Camper.

newwaterpump.png

After much hand wringing and a few disparaging adjectives , I changed back to the original pump with an accumulator. Much better, water pressure is acceptable, cycling is quieter and much less often.
I have some final tweaks yet to make the install even simpler but that will be another day.

IMG_7515.jpg

What was the intent - to boost pressure? I’m guessing that along with all the new pex, that pump is an add on and not original either, correct?

The purpose as stated to the Tech along with routing instructions was to reduce noise and cycling during use.

The Remco pump is variable speed, and higher working pressure. Unfortunately this install reduced pressure, increased noise and cycling.

My guess is all the fittings and smaller diameter piping caused the pump to work harder plus reduce available pressure.

After much research and thinking, I went back to the original pump with an accumulator. Demanded simpler pumping with a specific diagram. Tech got close but still wrong. Unfortunately the young tech does not have the necessary experience to understand how to make a clean install IMHO. Also, did not listen to very specific instructions nor read any instructions, but that is common among many.

The pump works now, has reasonable pressure, is quieter, and cycles less during use. Going to fine tune the air pressure in the accumulator to determine best working pressure.

I'll finish the remaining details myself.

I'm I being a bit whiney, yes. ;-0

After much hand wringing and a few disparaging adjectives , I changed back to the original pump with an accumulator. Much better, water pressure is acceptable, cycling is quieter and much less often.
I have some final tweaks yet to make the install even simpler but that will be another day.

View attachment 10937
Joe,
I think the accumulator tank should be upright, with the hoses attached at the bottom end? Yours looks upside down to me?

According to the User Manual, the accumulator can be mounted in any position. Ultimately I will relocate the accumulator sideways aligning the output directly under the feed to the RV system. The air Schrader Valve pointing towards the Door. Better use of available space and better access to Schrader valve with any type of air pressure gauge.

"TYPICAL INSTALLATION Disconnect power supply to electric pump, or air supply to air-driven pump. For municipal water supply, shut off water supply (not necessary on static or tank water supply). Open the faucet or appliance discharge valve. Tank installs anywhere in-line on discharge side of pump.Fasten hose to inlet/outlet fittings securely with hose clamps. Failure to do so may result in flooding and /or equipment damage. Restore water supply, then restore power supply. Allow water to flow through pump and out final discharge point in order to eliminate air from system. Tank may be mounted in any position. To remove the tank from the system, always disconnect power source to the pump, and open a faucet or appliance to safely vent water under pressure"

First time I see one upside down, but if they allow it, must be fine.

This local repair shop is family owned, been there for years. I've used them in the past for general service items with mixed results.

Well this install went very wrong, after three tries they still screwed it up. Charged me over $700 to install, fix the install, and fix it again all inside of one week.

I asked to have a new pump installed and explained to the Tech that I wanted a very basic 1/2" ID hose loop from inlet to exit.

This is the jungle gym I got! Missing pre-filter screen, 3/8" line, 9 additional 90 degree fittings. All this ended up with low pressure, endless pump cycling during use, and 18 additional opportunities for leaks.

Not A Happy Camper.

View attachment 10936
Wow!! The smaller pipe, longer pipe runs and the more fittings means higher head pressure resulting in pump having to work harder and longer to provide pressure. I'd be upset to!!

Latest resources

Back