• Commercial/Vendors welcome

National And State Parks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A good friend of mine left me with the impression that parks tend to have more isolated spaces— at least a little more room in between them.
There's sort of a mystique among some RVers who say that they'd "never go to a commercial RV park" but they love going to State parks. I agree that, on the average, State and local parks do have larger spaces than commercial parks but not all do. We've been to a couple of parks we would never go back to. IMO simple generalizations are usually wrong.

I agree with DocJ. Every park is different. Joshua Tree vs Roosevelt Vs Tetons would be comparing grapes to apples to oranges. The same is true for your question on motorcycle. Some parks add the length and some say you can drop it at your site so only your motorhome is your length. I wish the answer was black and white.

I concur, they are all totally different. We have stayed in a Florida State park on a couple occasions when we were pulling our 24' enclosed trailer, making us over 73' total length. We had numerous sites we could pick from. On the other hand, when we visit many State parks out west we have no desire to actually camp in them. We would rather find a commercial CG within a reasonable driving distance and then spend the week taking our time visiting, usually on the Harley.

As has already been mentioned, the longer your rig the more pre-planning you will probably have to do.

We prefer State and Local government campsites. In our experience, government run campsites are quieter, less expensive and near outdoor activity.
Our 40' RV can fit in most Campgrounds if you search sites in advance. The camp sites for longer rigs may be limited and are very popular. The Government websites are typically very clear and reservation systems reliable.

There are some older established campgrounds that just were not designed for larger RVs but shorter rigs should not have an issue.

Most National Parks and State Parks were built in the 40's, 50's and maybe the 60's. Back then no one ever DREAMED anyone would be driving a 45' tandem axle Coach to go CAMPING in!! This is why there are very few camping spots that we will fit into with our modern "campers".

Reality strikes. A good friend of mine left me with the impression that parks tend to have more isolated spaces— at least a little more room in between them. I’m about to answer my own question— each one is probably different and diligent research is a must. I will probably be carrying a motorcycle in a rack on the back of the coach... don’t know yet how far it would extend from the coach. Probably, I would guess about four feet. That’s probably going to add additional restrictions, right?
What size bike? You know the question I have may not fit this thread but you kind of brought it up. I have seen most city buses with bike racks on front. Why don't I see any lets say 250cc bikes on the front of a MH?

What size bike? You know the question I have may not fit this thread but you kind of brought it up. I have seen most city buses with bike racks on front. Why don't I see any lets say 250cc bikes on the front of a MH?
From everything I've read the front axle of a class A is usually the one that is over loaded and at max capacity, mostly due to the weight of the generator.. If that's true then I think hanging another 300-400 lbs off the front bumper might be the last thing you'd want to do. And remember the farther out the weight is the more it effects the front axle. Then again maybe it wouldn't matter. :rolleyes:

I concur, they are all totally different. We have stayed in a Florida State park on a couple occasions when we were pulling our 24' enclosed trailer, making us over 73' total length. We had numerous sites we could pick from. On the other hand, when we visit many State parks out west we have no desire to actually camp in them. We would rather find a commercial CG within a reasonable driving distance and then spend the week taking our time visiting, usually on the Harley.

As has already been mentioned, the longer your rig the more pre-planning you will probably have to do.
Do you carry the bike on a rack on the back of the coach or tow. If you carry, which carrier do you use?

Even when we had the Ultra it was too heavy for any type of carrier. For the last two bikes we have been on Triglides which weigh in at around 1200 pounds so we are limited to a trailer, tandem-tow, or changing over to a toy hauler fiver. What make/model of motorcycle are you wanting to transport on a carrier? Are you talking about a hitch mounted carrier?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back