• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Navigating Through Large Cities

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There are a couple tips for driving through Atlanta. Do it on Sunday. You'll cruise right through no problem. OR Use the HOV (Diamond lane). This will cut the traffic by 2/3. Also just so you know, tractor trailers are not permitted to go straight through Atlanta unless they are delivering INSIDE the I-285 beltway. Otherwise they have to go around Atlanta on I-285. This means that if you stay on 75/85 going down the middle of the city you will not have to deal with many large trucks.

Be aware that morning rush hour starts at 6AM and goes through 10:30 AM. Evening rush hour starts at 3PM and goes through 7:30PM. There is a brief window between 10:30AM and Noon before lunch and between 1:30PM and 3PM after lunch that traffic is somewhat heavy but moving very well. SO you can always go through Atlanta before 5AM or after about 7:30 PM and be OK.................providing there are no huge accidents...........:rolleyes:

Over the last couple years, if I can’t avoid a large city, I’ve found the easiest way to make it thru is try to spot the truck driver who seems to know that city well, and follow them. Trucks with day cabs and companies like Fedex and UPS have drivers that use those same roads daily. If you watch closely, you will see which one seems to consistently pick the right lane as you travel thru. I just stay a little ways back so I can still see the upcoming road signs. It’s always disappointing when you find a good one and they turn off before you’re thru town.
I do this too - pick a traveling buddy and stick with him at a respectful distance. And as stated above not just any trucker will do. Some are not familiar with the area, and contrary to my previously held beliefs, some just aren‘t very good at what they are doing. Not all professional drivers drive professionally. So choose wisely. A day cab (no sleeper) is a good imdicator.

I use the middle lane and have found many truckers do the same. I usually travel at 65 mph but will keep up with traffic if I stay in the middle lane

Latest resources

Back