RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Rubicon
Greetings all!

We're in the Tulsa area and we have had our Newmar New Aire about 18 months. We're getting along well but want to expand our horizons a bit with travel east or someday northeast as most of our travels to date have been west.

My question is how do others handle traffic through a DFW or Atlanta traffic driving a coach? Do you stick in on the middle lanes and grin and bear it? Find ways to go around these high density heavy traffic areas? Are they to be avoided at all costs?

We drove through Atlanta last week in our car and I thought it was miserable. Our daughter lives in Fort Worth where we visit often and I can't imagine taking a RV through there.

What's your secret if you care to share?

Always consider time of day and day of week. Look for alternate routes around cities as most but not all major cities have them. Ask on forums like here for experienced travelers recommendations. You can also use Google maps on a pc and you can change the route to your liking by dragging the route.

I always look for a a route around big cities trying to skirt them from about 25 miles out, and/or take a beltway at the least, although these are usually almost as bad as just blasting straight through. Traversing cities used to be challenge I just accepted, but Im not that much of a thrill-seeker anymore.

While crazy, angry, inconsiderate and poor drivers are a problem, construction is often worse, forcing you into very narrow and shifting lanes on uneven surfaces with haphazardly placed k-rail and other obstacles. Id rather take a couple extea hours of easy driving over the most direct google maps route any day.

If I really want to visit a city I’ll camp on the putskirts in a decent area and drive the toad in. But this is a rarity. Not why I travel by coach. Ive driven 95 through all the major cities on the east coast from Charleston to Boston and I wont repeat that experience. Same for any other big city across the country. Been there, done that, never had any major issues, but way too many headaches. I don't want to work that hard - it’s just not my idea of a vacation.

Next month Im hitting the road, traveling to Austin (from Northern Ca) for a wedding, then NE all the way to central New Hampshire, then home. I only have plans and reservations as far as Austin (because of the wedding) and I’ll wing it the rest of the way. But one thing I’ll make certain to do is skirt the major metro areas. I also find the small, 2 lane highways to be much more scenic, interesting, pleasant, easier on the rig, and almost stress free. Takes longer but I have time. I also find a lot smaller city/county/state parks that way.

Simple answer is try to go around if at all possible.

We live just a little NW of Fort Worth and lived 3 years in Bixby. When we go through Tulsa we always take the Creek Turnpike for example. Same thing for DFW if we go east we drop all the way down to I-20 and then traverse to the east.
Coming to FTW, always come in through Gainesville and Denton on 35W never come across DFW.

Probably the single most important thing is timing. Rush hour(s) in any form or fashion are a deal breaker. If we're coming into a big city(ies) like DFW and it's after 3:30 we find a spot to camp and leave after 9:00 the next morning.

Google Maps Traffic is your friend

Let me add;

We use Tollways if possible and stay in the right lane.
If not on a Tollway we get into the 2nd lane and pretty much stay there.

You simply don't go through or very close to the big cities.

Over the last couple years, if I can’t avoid a large city, I’ve found the easiest way to make it thru is try to spot the truck driver who seems to know that city well, and follow them. Trucks with day cabs and companies like Fedex and UPS have drivers that use those same roads daily. If you watch closely, you will see which one seems to consistently pick the right lane as you travel thru. I just stay a little ways back so I can still see the upcoming road signs. It’s always disappointing when you find a good one and they turn off before you’re thru town.

We live near Houston, and frequently take our 35-ft motorhome to or through Houston. Because of the way the roads are, we have to travel through Houston for many destinations- it's simply too big and sprawling to go around - all the loops are congested. Trust me, the country roads around Houston are more dangerous for a motorhome.
When we're in Houston traffic, we drive a bit slower than surrounding traffic, but not too slow. I've found that cars avoid us as much as possible.
WARNING: move to the middle lane if you see a line of cars slowed or stopped at exit ramps - they;ll jump out of line suddenly - happened to a friend of ours towing a travel trailer - very bad.
We travel only between 9 and 2 pm. Sometimes we're hitting both Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex in one day - Houston and DFW are about 4.5 hours apart including 20-min stops at the 2 safety rest areas. We have to time this very carefully!
Usually we plan a trip not to do both cities in one day.
One time we got stuck in Houston traffic for 30 min due to construction. We just grabbed drinks and snacks and waited comfortably (potty handy, too!)

I just hang in the rightmost lane and at a speed I feel comfortable and choose for the conditions. Rarely do I ever drive at the speed limit and mostly I drive a bit below the speed limit. I always allow more than adequate time to travel based on my departure and arrival choices.

Others can use the left lanes to pass as intended or they can stay behind me. I try to avoid traveling through large cities during rush hours. It is much more pleasant driving this way. I hate leaving white knuckle finger indentions on the steering wheel.

Latest resources

Back