• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Navistar max force 6.4

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Do the power to weight ratio calcs and see if it meets your needs. IIRC it was around 300hp/600tq, so depending on what its pulling or pushing, you might find it lacking. It was a lot less troublesome than the 6.0 but still had some issues worth considering. If all is well with it and it had proper maintenance, 33k is barely at the break-in stage.

Do the power to weight ratio calcs and see if it meets your needs. IIRC it was around 300hp/600tq, so depending on what its pulling or pushing, you might find it lacking. It was a lot less troublesome than the 6.0 but still had some issues worth considering. If all is well with it and it had proper maintenance, 33k is barely at the break-in stage.
Thank you. Not worried about being enough engine heard and read some info saying the engine itself was junk. I’m looking at buying a Tiffin Breeze and was worried. I am getting a full warranty for the 2015. So I guess I shouldn’t be over worried. I’ve only owned tag alongs. I appreciate your fast reply

Its been a very successful engine rated at over a million miles when properly maintained. It did have some problems including cracked pistons but as noted in the article below :“In most cases, it occurs in higher mileage engines or engines that’ve seen years of accumulative (sic) abuse.“ If you think your Breeze will see over 200k and you plan to run long oil change intervals then it may be an issue.

I’d change the oil every 5k and check the oil often to catch any instances of fuel in the oil (from a rather poor DPF regen design). If you do see that the oil level has increased due to the regen issue, just change it and be on your way. I can see this being an issue if ignored, but that would fall into the operator error category.

But most of the other problems the engine is famous for are really Ford problems in trucks and your Breeze will have completely different cooling and exhaust and probably turbo systems so those issues won’t apply. Do the research and reach out to other Tiffin owners. I suspect that in a well taken care of truck chassis it will more than go the distance for an RV.

Its been a very successful engine rated at over a million miles when properly maintained. It did have some problems including cracked pistons but as noted in the article below :“In most cases, it occurs in higher mileage engines or engines that’ve seen years of accumulative (sic) abuse.“ If you think your Breeze will see over 200k and you plan to run long oil change intervals then it may be an issue.

I’d change the oil every 5k and check the oil often to catch any instances of fuel in the oil (from a rather poor DPF regen design). If you do see that the oil level has increased due to the regen issue, just change it and be on your way. I can see this being an issue if ignored, but that would fall into the operator error category.

But most of the other problems the engine is famous for are really Ford problems in trucks and your Breeze will have completely different cooling and exhaust and probably turbo systems so those issues won’t apply. Do the research and reach out to other Tiffin owners. I suspect that in a well taken care of truck chassis it will more than go the distance for an RV.
Awesome thank you. 200k nope. I probably won’t make it that long. I appreciate everything. Thanks again

It was actually a much, much, much worse engine than the 6.0L powerstroke which had only two problems. The 6.4 was bad enough it only endured in Ford light duty trucks for 2 years and the numerous problems ended the long standing relationship between International and Ford. Powerstrokehelp.com stated there's only one replacement part to fix it; an entirely new, not remanufactured, engine (then recommended selling the vehicle after repaired ASAP).

Latest resources

Back