Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
When I canceled Direct TV, I lost access to Sat TV as my King-Dome isn't compatible with Dish. So no big deal I guess, but now I would like to find a replacement. I was considering a Tailgater but I'm not keen on having to store something else in the basement. But that being said, I imagine there may be benefit to having a sat receiver that I can move around and get a shot through the trees vs a dome on the roof that may or may not have a clear view of the sky.

An Amazon search provide me with more options than I had imagined, from a couple hundred bucks up to $1,500.

Would anyone care to share their experience with what I'm trying to do?

Thank in advance!

I'm thinking of adding a portable option for when those trees don't cooperate. My coach was FPU'd with DirecTV and I learned that they don't do the start/stop option like Dish does so I had the local RV Sat people that service Newmar change my dish on the roof. I suggest contacting a mobile RV satellite type provider that can change it out for you. From what I heard those from people like @Dutch Star Don is you can do this yourself quite easily but I don't know the details.

When I did FPU, I told the tech that I had Dish, and he just went on the roof and changed the dip switches...I have the in-motion dome satellit on the roof...

This is what we use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJXJQC0/?tag=rvf01-20

It has worked great for us.

TJ
Did you mount it on the roof or do you store it in the basement?

When I did FPU, I told the tech that I had Dish, and he just went on the roof and changed the dip switches...I have the in-motion dome satellit on the roof...
I have the King-Dome Model 9762-LP which is no longer compatible with DISH since their transition to 8PSK. It will still work with Direct TV, but I no longer have Direct TV and would rather buy a new receiver than go back.

Not mounted on the roof. We carry ours in the rear, passenger-side compartment (next to pegboard bay). There's a nice padded case available that fits the unit perfectly and keeps the dome from getting dinged up. We bought one.

TJ

In my previous coach (Bay Star Sport), basement storage was a premium. The tailgater works great in most cases, but is large. Light weight, but large. In the Bay Star, we carried the Tailgater in the shower stall. Now, I’ve got enough space in the basement.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back