Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

remle

RVF Newbee
We are in the process of buying our first travel trailer. We are looking to get something around 30 feet long. I currently have a GMC 1/2 ton. We are looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. We would like some opinions on whether we should go with gas or diesel. Also, which manufacture makes the best truck for pulling a trailer?

Since you arent sold on a make yet, or gas or diesel, it might make sense to concentrate on the trailer weight and the GCWR of the various trucks available, and factor in how much actual towing you will do under what conditions and what else you are using the truck for. Otherwise you’ll end up buying a very capable, very expensive tow vehicle that may be more truck than you need or want.

I have a 2017 Ford 6.7 diesel. I’m thrilled with it and it does everything I need. Its also way more truck than I need these days since I no longer tow heavy (loader landscape on an equip trailer - around 18K lbs) and cost a lot for the use I now get out of it. I’ll keep it because I like it, but if I were doing it again, I’d go for the Ford 7.3 gas with the max towing/payload I could get in an F250. That way Id have less invested and a very practical, enjoyable, everyday truck with decent ride comfort that can do the occasional heavy lifting as necessary.

Welcome. I have towed with both gas and diesel, 1/2 and 3/4 ton. No comparison to diesel. If the truck is a daily driver, a thought of less TT to better handle with 1/2 ton. Maintenance is more on a diesel. Good luck is your search.

We are in the process of buying our first travel trailer. We are looking to get something around 30 feet long. I currently have a GMC 1/2 ton. We are looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. We would like some opinions on whether we should go with gas or diesel. Also, which manufacture makes the best truck for pulling a trailer?

There is no argument that a diesel would be better for towing, but I would look at how often you use it for travel. I don’t travel as mush as I like to so I have a gas truck, but I have the Titan XD which is rated between an F150/F250 or 1500/2500. it is designed for towing and comes standard with a gooseneck hitch and electric break module And tows great. Now it also likes to look at gas stations when traveling with a trailer. Our trailer is about 34ft 6800lbs dry. The pointy nose has great aerodynamics that really helps with the high speed towing. I now have a camper shell on the truck that helps too.

Attachments

• 81D74AEF-C421-432A-8CDB-4D8CAADC0118.jpeg
    81D74AEF-C421-432A-8CDB-4D8CAADC0118.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 11

Latest resources

Back