Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Wen81

RVF Newbee
Hi! We bought a brand new 2021 FR Wolfpack 335 on Tuesday. My husband was hauling it home about an hour when he got an alert on his truck that the lights were not working on the 5th wheel. He pulled over and had no running lights. No brake lights turn signals etc. He looked everything over and didn't see anything so he hauled it home another 1.5 hours. When we got home I called the dealer for help and they said bring it back. I explained how dangerous that is with no running lights on a 41ft camper! I spoke to the manager and asked for a mechanic to walk him through some things to check. While we waited for someone to call my husband was checking things over and he discovered melted wires. The service tech called finally and he told him what he found .The tech had him get under the camper and melted wires on the underbelly as well!!! They advised us to disconnect everything which my husband did The dealer wanted us to bring it back and when I explained how unsafe that is they didn't care kept assisting so I called a lawyer. He advised I call FR. I did and long story short they said the cable must of been tight and want me to call my insurance!!!!! The dealer hooked the camper up for us but the cable was not tight as the breakaway pin didn't release and the brakes didn't lockup. The breakaway box didn't melt. The melting doesn't start until partway down and all in the conjuction box. I'm very upset and can't believe I'm going through this. I spoke to the lawyer and now have to proceed with him just to get my money back or a new camper
The manufacturer FR or the dealer should be taking care of this instead I have a 41ft boat anchor sitting in my driveway and 4 very sad kids!!!!!!!!
Any advice appreciated.

First, sorry to hear about your issues with a brand new trailer. That's no fun.

Second, welcome to RVF; we're glad to have you here.

Finally, I think you really do need to get the trailer back to the dealer. Things sometimes happen that are beyond even the dealer's control. There may have been a manufacturing defect in this particular trailer. I would give the dealer an opportunity to make things right.

There are some relatively inexpensive temporary stop/turn/brake lights available that could be connected to your truck and run to the back of the trailer. And, I would let the dealer know up front that you expect to be reimbursed for them. Having the trailer back at the dealership would allow them to go fully through the electrical system and resolve the issue. Or, you could ask the dealer to come and retrieve the trailer and take it back to his shop.

I guess the other option is to tell the dealer you are cancelling the transaction, ask for a full refund and tell him to come pick up his trailer because it is not travel worthy. Not sure what state you live in, but many states have laws allowing you a certain amount of time to cancel a purchase. Your lawyer should have more details.

Don't let this one experience sour you on RVing. If you don't feel you can trust the current dealer. Find another one that you do trust. There are good dealers out there too.

TJ

Welcome to the forum. I agree with TJ About getting it to the dealer. Another option is to have someone follow you back like one of the follow me trucks with big loads.

Thank you for your responses. We can't haul it back safely as everything is disconnected as dealer said to do so to avoid a possible fire. Lawyer said they need to tow it out but they won't. So having to send demand letters out next week.

Attachments

• 20200922_160211.jpg
    20200922_160211.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200922_152352.jpg
    20200922_152352.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200923_155318.jpg
    20200923_155318.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200922_160149.jpg
    20200922_160149.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 19
I agree with TJ to a level, However a 40ft trailer can't be hauled legally without trailer brakes. Leave it to the dealer to move it. make sure your lawyer communicates this to the dealer, and the buyer remorse laws covers things, by getting the communication taken care of quickly.

I agree with TJ to a level, However a 40ft trailer can't be hauled legally without trailer brakes. Leave it to the dealer to move it. make sure your lawyer communicates this to the dealer, and the buyer remorse laws covers things, by getting the communication taken care of quickly.
Good point about the brakes, @Kevin D Pem. I didn't catch that the brakes were also affected.

TJ

Wow @Wen81, this really sucks.

I guess technically, the RV is yours and you should have had AAA or the equivalent. But given that this was the ride home after just picking it up, I would think this would fall under the extenuating circumstances goodwill clause. At least, it would if I was the dealer.

FR could have a mechanic come over and trouble shoot the problem, not sure why they're not to be honest. But I'd give them another call and see if you can't work something out to get someone over to look at it. If they completely blow you off, then it might be necessary to resort to Plan B.

Latest resources

Back