• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need new tablet

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ony way anyone here would use it is if the mainstream software had a version of their program that would work on Linux. Now watch me get slammed for saying that.
Actually, I think that is a perfectly reasonable assumption . Also, fwiw I use Linux daily as most enterprise servers today run on RHEL or Amazon Linux

My goal is to find a tablet that she can use to run QuickBooks and her spreadsheets with the flexibility of her old iPad.
Let me remind all of the OP's requirements.

Actually, I think that is a perfectly reasonable assumption . Also, fwiw I use Linux daily as most enterprise servers today run on RHEL or Amazon Linux

There are a lot of options, too many options. Microsoft Surface is good. I recently got a Dell XPS 17 with touch screen (love it). New iPads I thought were being announced last week but looks like it may be April now. Your QuickBooks requirement will drive your decision so you either need QuickBooks Online or Desktop (I use Desktop). If you can do without the "tablet" part and want a good laptop I recommend the Dell XPS. 13, 15, 17 inch screens available. I wanted the largest because of my A.G.E. syndrome.

A fantastic alternative to Quickbooks is GnuCash, which is both free and Open Source, unlike Quickbooks which costs $200 or more. That's money that could go in your gas tank and that's not an opinion, it's a fact!
Free Accounting Software | GnuCash - you may be surprised to learn that it will run on the MS platform.

Sorry Neil, but in my humble opinion, MS can't do anything that Linux can't do as well or better and at much less the cost. I also know how unsettling it is to abandon big brother (Mr. Gates) but, man, it's liberating. What's freedom from Gates worth? That's the bottom line.

Top 5 Linux Tablets: Top 5 Linux Tablets That's Great For Privacy | FOSS Linux

While this thread is not a debate among operating systems, the fact of the matter is apps supported. Windows and macOS are going to be better solution for typical home users as most likely they'll find apps that are supported on those platforms. When you move to something like Linux you enter a world of having to jump through hoops to make something work, if even possible, and I'm talking basic commercial apps most home users typically use.

To help the OP with their question I think regarding QuickBooks you have two options: Desktop or Web version. I don't know if they offer a macOS version of QuickBooks, I use Windows for this. I think it may be best to separate the laptop from the tablet and get a good laptop to suit your business needs and a new iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard with Trackpad to make a great setup there.

While this thread is not a debate among operating systems, the fact of the matter is apps supported. Windows and macOS are going to be better solution for typical home users as most likely they'll find apps that are supported on those platforms. When you move to something like Linux you enter a world of having to jump through hoops to make something work, if even possible, and I'm talking basic commercial apps most home users typically use.

To help the OP with their question I think regarding QuickBooks you have two options: Desktop or Web version. I don't know if they offer a macOS version of QuickBooks, I use Windows for this. I think it may be best to separate the laptop from the tablet and get a good laptop to suit your business needs and a new iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard with Trackpad to make a great setup there.

Neil, the OP stated:
"I haven't bought any new technology in a very long time, so I'm a bit out of touch on what is available. But at first glance, the Microsoft Surface Go looks like it would fulfil her needs and it seems reasonably priced.

Looking for any advice you all can give."

I simply offered the guy a superior alternate solution to an otherwise ongoing, expensive problem.

Neil, I get the impression that you feel you have to have the last word on any given topic here. Unfortunately, it's a rookie mistake some website operators make. Please remove my account and spend the ten bucks I sent you last night, as you wish. Most importantly though, try yo calm down and let people breath. Nobody came here looking for a grand wizard to lead them by the nose, we come to sites like this to learn and share, not be talked down to.

Please remove my account at your earliest convenience.

Sorry you feel this way as it’s not my intent at all. I too use QuickBooks (and Quicken) and know the limitations that result as a small business owner. I’m a software developer and my setup is dual Windows and macOS (Mini M1) with an iPad Pro and all the gadgets for software development (desktop, web, mobile). I'm well aware of the issues faced by home consumers and small businesses as that's my customer base and I get asked the questions regarding Ubuntu, etc.

As a small business owner as is @Jim we have to think about accounting products that our accountants can use. Annually I use QuickBooks to send an accountants copy to my accountant for their use in doing my taxes. This is something Quickbooks offers. They do their magic and we import the changes when done. Not only is the computer and operating system important but also the applications and how they need to be used must be taken into account. There are two expensive ongoing problems we have to deal with: 1) Accounting software that can be used by an accountant or accounting firm and 2) Taxes and expensive accountants! I don't care for either!

We can all share our opinions to help the OP in any topic. No one has a last and final word other than the OP. We can and should all share our opinions to help the OP form their decision. My opinion is not the best, no one's is the best, only the OP chooses whose is the best as to what helps them. But I have the very same use case as the OP with my business and I think that's what @Jim is here trying to solve so I share my opinion having been down this road. Debates on these topics which can sometimes be passionate and that's fine even if some of us may not agree with some of the answers provided. If having a bad day or in a bad mood, just step away for a break, get some fresh air. No one is attacking anyone here or hitting their fist on the desk with their opinion as the final word. The linux debate for non enterprise use is always an interesting one. I'll just stick with the Mac vs. Windows lovely debates. I think both OS's are outstanding, we are very lucky in this era to have such great options available to us for desktop, web, and mobile.

I appreciate you supporting the site as a RVF Supporter and hope you will see this situation differently as you’ve taken my post(s) out of context. I love tech and the associated discussions. I hope you will remain and enjoy this friendly community. I'm sure you realize Windows vs. macOS vs. Linux is always a passionate and personal discussion same as iOS vs. Android and the same applies to various vendors in the RV industry.

Edit: If you're new around here you may not understand the full context about @Jim. He's building a new campground and what he's asking for relates to this business from what I gather.

Last edited:
I take it you are a Linux user. I started using it in 08, I now use it in my Chromebooks by activating Linux (bata). Ony way anyone here would use it is if the mainstream software had a version of their program that would work on Linux. Now watch me get slammed for saying that.
Haha. It’s a valid point. My desktop products don’t run on Linux. People ask if Crossover would work. Great try of crossover to make things work but it doesn’t for my products.

Latest resources

Back