• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need to know what a 2017 Dodge Journey 6 cylinder AWD can tow

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Those numbers are cargo weight and not the weight of the trailer. There should be a placard on the driver-side door or frame that indicates the cargo weight. Cargo weight includes passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight, and any other stuff you put in the vehicle.

The towing rating is what the vehicle can safely pull and STOP. The dealer, with the VIN number, can look up the data for that specific vehicle. Thus it is "not what someone said."
Thank you. I'm just learning the proper terminology for what I am looking for, your feedback is greatly appreciated. It's hard to get answers to questions when the question is not posed properly. :)

This vehcile is even less than my Jeep Wrangler as far as towing capacity goes.

Your options are similar to what I found:

Tear Drop style (aka: traveling beds)
Roof Top Tent
Chuck Wagon setup with Roof top tent carrier.

I am going with the last option -- Chuck Wagon config, and custom building with a carrier for a roof top tent on the trailer. This will let the camp remain behind, while I go jeeping.

There is not a lot commercially available. I am custom building, but have seen options in the $5k - $10k range with weights < 2000lbs.

Roof Top Tent

I am going with the last option -- Chuck Wagon config, and custom building with a carrier for a roof top tent on the trailer. This will let the camp remain behind, while I go jeeping.

There is not a lot commercially available. I am custom building, but have seen options in the $5k - $10k range with weights < 2000lbs.
I believe you're right on all counts. I'm beginning to think the van conversion m ay be the way to go. I have seen a couple of options,

Roof Top Tent

The Journey is, sadly, incapable of towing more than about 1000 lbs. I had no idea of using it for camping when I bought the Dodge, just needed something that had enough clearance to navigate some mildly back road conditions for southern Colorado where my son lives. I'm also looking at class B vehicles, I want to go back to Wyoming where I used to live but many of those out of the way BLM spots require hard side so the Class B may be the answer I'm looking for.

Latest resources

Back