Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I recently upgraded the wifi system in my S&B (house) and have to say the new Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 is amazing! I've struggled with finding a good wifi setup in my 3 story house, 4,000 sqft since buying this in 2005. I've used the best routers from Netgear's top of the line R9000, then tried Google's mesh system, Netgears Orbi system and now went to the latest Orbi mesh system by Netgear with Wi-Fi 6. The prior Netgear Orbi was good but I'm not sure I had things positioned properly which was the first problem. However, I nailed it this time around and the Wi-Fi 6 setup is rock solid at every inch of my house including back yard. I could not be happier. This system is not cheap but it is worth every penny.

I got the setup with 3 satellites (RBK854) direct from Netgear but for most households 2 satellites would suffice or even 1.

If you care about good Internet while at home, splurge and do it right. New devices are going to have Wi-Fi 6 but even if you don't these routers are backwards compatible and Netgear got it right.

My experience with a Netgear's Orbi Mesh has also been excellent. Our home is a single story but has a large footprint. The WiFi signal is strong everywhere.

I loved my Orbi AC3000 system with satellite…until I started having problems less than 2 years later. I had blanket coverage throughout our 3,000 house and .3ac yard.
But then, my connection kept dropping. After messing with it for months, including calls to Netgear (futile), I concluded the satellite went bad. No idea why, but others have said they just “age out”. Huh?

At any rate, I made a decision not to replace that satellite or the entire system because, as us say Neal, their latest system is brutally more expensive.

So, in the meantime, I grabbed one of the last 3-pack Googles. ??. Well…gotta admit…google’s got the whole “setup” and home auto thing down pretty nicely.

Hope to hear good reports of the Orbi.

Man, my head is spinning. You guys lost me back at the WiFi Ranger.?

My experience with a Netgear's Orbi Mesh has also been excellent. Our home is a single story but has a large footprint. The WiFi signal is strong everywhere.
Well spoke too soon. Netgear Orbi Mesh Router died last week. Tried various standard fixes to no avail. Power off/on, reset switch, swapped cables, nada...

Not willing to pony up another $500+ for a system that lasts a year or so.

Well spoke too soon. Netgear Orbi Mesh Router died last week. Tried various standard fixes to no avail. Power off/on, reset switch, swapped cables, nada...

Boom. Like that!
?‍♂️
I feel ya.

TP-Link, Netgear, and Unifi are all good products. Failure is rare.

Check you credit card you purchased it with. Most cards offer "purchase protection" and extend the warranty for a year or more on these small items. Its a bit of an ordeal to go thru, but the benefit is one I have used many times with my RV collection of parts.

While my number of Orbi mesh devices is a small sample, I think I have 7 devices, no issues. I wonder if it's just your power adapter? Do you have a single or dual (or more) setup? Did you try the power adapter from one on another?

tried a known good power adapter...nada

I would reach out to Netgear and see if you can send it in OR search eBay for the same model number as you may find an inexpensive replacement. The router and satellite have different numbers such as RBR vs. RBS.

Latest resources

Back