Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Hi all trying to help a new RV owner who has a New Aire. He bought it from a private party and the seller and Newmar emergency after hours told him he didn’t need shore power or a gen on to move the slides as long as the batteries were 13 v at least. That is counter intuitive to what I know but I don’t have hwh slides so maybe they are different. Anyone got any info to share? I had my slides go sideways on my LE so I won’t move them without power.

We have the HWH slides in the MADP, but I have not tried moving them without either shore or generator power. That said, I don't see why a properly charged battery bank wouldn't do the job. It is a relatively short-duration draw when the hydraulic pump runs to drive the hydraulic motors.

If previous owner and Newmar said shore power/generator is not needed, I would think it is OK.

TJ

Last edited:
We have the HWH slides in the MADP, but I have not tried moving them without either shore or generator power. That said, I don't see why a properly charged battery bank wouldn't do the job. It is a relatively short-duration draw where the hydraulic pump runs to drive the hydraulic motors.

If previous owner and Newmar said shore power/generator is not needed, I would think it is OK.

TJ
Agree,
We also have the HWH full slide. Although our standard procedure is to plug in or fire up the generator prior to operating the FWS, a fully charged battery bank should have no difficulty operating the pump for the 30 seconds or so of run time. Plug it in first if you have the option.

My battery bank is going on 7 years, and I can move the slides on battery power alone. Shore power is nice, but not mandatory if your batteries are good.

I was told to plug in or run generator before operating the slides at FPU...gives me a chance to double check clearances before extending the slides. 2020 New Aire.

Can, yes! What is best depends on If you dry camp. A high load will deplete power available for the night at a high rate.

The poor guy bought the coach a month ago and has a good hydraulic leak going (soaked through the panel) on the driver side slide. He’s going to a factory service center to get it addressed.

You absolutely can operate hydraulic powered FWS on battery power provided the battery bank is up to the task. But Newmar does recommend to " Plug the coach into shore power (if available) or start the generator to increase the voltage for better slideout operation." The more power the better.

Latest resources

Back