Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Added a new forum to discuss diet, health, fitness as a RVer.

About two months ago I had had enough, eating like crap, feeling like crap, and time to lose some, well, you know, grams. I joined Weight Watchers to give it a try having heard from others but more so that it looked like a good system to help me learn about food and diet. I haven't really been all in, yet, but logging food, learning where the points are, learning where the points aren't (such as oatmeal) etc.

I've lost weight, not so much measurable, but the fat is coming off, people notice. Prior to leaving on my current RV trip I did bloodwork to test the usuals of cholesterol, vitamin D, and other things. My annual physical is in December so this was a mid year check. I always have high cholesterol and take meds for it. For the first time EVER my cholesterol is in the normal range (162). I don't want that junk anymore, I don't care for that feeling post sugar intake, etc. I enjoy oatmeal with fruit (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) for breakfast, daily, and eliminated other crap that just makes you feel bad. I have no desire for it anymore. I'd rather lose weight than enjoy something like ice cream which is only enjoyed at the tongue, after that it's not a joy, for me.

On this trip I intend to really get serious on diet, it seems I do better while RVing than at home. At home I eat out too much, same crap weekly, etc. The RV travel allows me to focus more on diet, groceries, and walking more as the dog needs it and so do I.

So again, new forum for us to share good diet, health, and fitness practices as RVers. Share as you wish on any health tips while traveling, etc.

I was the diet “yoyo” after many years of up and down in weight. I joined the Noom program two years ago and dropped 80 pounds and so far I am able to stay there with five pound deviation on either side of my target weight. It’s pretty simple. Weigh every day, log every single thing you eat and lean towards healthier food choices, drink lots of water, exercise and get plenty of sleep.

I carry a light travel scale for weight monitoring, and I have a food scale and measuring cups/ spoons in the coach. You can even use apps like my fitness pal that are free.

On the road, we eat a lot of salads with proteins that we cook ahead along with assorted veggies and fruit. Trader Joe’s also has precooked chicken, frozen rice and assorted veggie dishes that work well if you don’t enjoy or have time for cooking. It sounds onerous but it isn’t and I tell people who ask do it for seven days so it become habitual and you can find it’s easy. I also say give yourself one cheat day where you eat what you want in moderation and log it.

Scale
NewlineNY White Mini Bathroom... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJV8PXG/?tag=rvf01-20

Thanks for the link to the scale. I left mine home so need one. Ordered.
I joined the Noom program two years ago and dropped 80 pounds and so far I am able to stay there with five pound deviation on either side of my target weight.
Congrats on this! That is no easy task - keep up the great work. I'm sure you must feel like a new person!

And new clothes too. 🤣

Secret to weight loss, and many ills is diet (lifestyle, not fads) and exercise. Those that no my health issues, ask what I can and cannot eat. My answer is anything I want, but in small (some things should be very small) portions.

For most, burn more and eat less as a lifestyle keeps the weight off. My wife always says that at mealtime, half the plate should be vegetables - no more than 4-6 oz of meat (300-450 cal), and maybe 100-150 cal in carb (e.g. .5 -1.O cup) of rice.

200 lb male 2000 cal/ day - burn 100-200 cal/ day (i.e. walk vigorously 1-2 miles a day (continuous, if possible).

You will likely keep weight under good control or even lose. Secret is burn more thsn the excess you take in for your weight. I realize the are mitigating metabolic, hereditary, issues etc., and it is more difficult for women, but these are generally good principles.

Have fun. Live long, in Christ, and prosper.

Added a new forum to discuss diet, health, fitness as a RVer.

About two months ago I had had enough, eating like crap, feeling like crap, and time to lose some, well, you know, grams. I joined Weight Watchers to give it a try having heard from others but more so that it looked like a good system to help me learn about food and diet. I haven't really been all in, yet, but logging food, learning where the points are, learning where the points aren't (such as oatmeal) etc.

I've lost weight, not so much measurable, but the fat is coming off, people notice. Prior to leaving on my current RV trip I did bloodwork to test the usuals of cholesterol, vitamin D, and other things. My annual physical is in December so this was a mid year check. I always have high cholesterol and take meds for it. For the first time EVER my cholesterol is in the normal range (162). I don't want that junk anymore, I don't care for that feeling post sugar intake, etc. I enjoy oatmeal with fruit (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) for breakfast, daily, and eliminated other crap that just makes you feel bad. I have no desire for it anymore. I'd rather lose weight than enjoy something like ice cream which is only enjoyed at the tongue, after that it's not a joy, for me.

On this trip I intend to really get serious on diet, it seems I do better while RVing than at home. At home I eat out too much, same crap weekly, etc. The RV travel allows me to focus more on diet, groceries, and walking more as the dog needs it and so do I.

So again, new forum for us to share good diet, health, and fitness practices as RVers. Share as you wish on any health tips while traveling, etc.
The best thing we did was purchase a nice plastic bin and packed some weights, bands, weighted bar and a jump rope! Fits easily in one of the "basement" drawers. Convenient to add in a little weights before a nice hike or run while we're out on the road. We also make sure to pack the good meats for grilling/roasting, lots of the microwave packages of quinoa and brown rice, and all the good veggies to roast and throw into a salad. Lastly, I've found that making our own salad dressing is healthier bc we know exactly what's in it and find it's much lower in sugar than store bought. I am excited to find this section on the website; maybe we'll all start sharing some great easy, healthy recipes! Oh, and pack the good wine; life is too short to not enjoy a small indulgence while watching the sunset in some gorgeous location!

Great idea for a forum as RV’ing can lead to a somewhat sedentary and indulgent lifestyle. Adding the new e-bikes to our activities list has helped considerably. We’ve only had them for two months and I am already stronger, have more endurance and am more coordinated. The after-ride beers don’t help the calorie count much, but moderation…

Now we’ll consider bike trails every time we are looking for a place to stop, even just for a day. This never happened with the conventional MTBs even though they crossed the country a dozen times on the rack - they rarely came off. But with the ability to negotiate hills, the added fun, the the idea that I should make the investment worthwhile, we are riding the biles almost every day.

WOW! Neal you out did yourself!

After learning what "Natural flavors " are, I started looking at eating out, and processed foods, as a good way to poison yourself. Looking forward to what I find here!

Latest resources

Back