Chassis
F53
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Well I did it. Just brought home a new Gladiator Rubicon. Traded in the JK. Maximus 3 tow bar mounts on the way, Blue Ox adapters are here. Re-using our RVi3 brake system with 12v battery direct outlet. Question about lights. We used the Hopkin's plug and play towed vehicle harness on the JK. Worked great. The Hopkins JL/JT harness is currently unavailable. Rvupgradestore says it's due to covid shutdown. I have a buddy with this kit on his JL, and says it works great, like my JK kit did. Is anyone else using this kit for their 2019+ Wrangler/Gladiator? I do not want to splice into the new Jeep's wiring. I guess I could rig up my old magnet lights for now.
Pic of the new Jeep.

20200615_181532.jpg

Spend that money brother! lol, but yes, it's beautiful! Congratulations.

Maximus-3 towbar mounts finally arrived and installed. I mounted a new winch bumper and winch at the same time, since I don't like to do things twice. Found a perfect grommet hole in the firewall close to the same place it was in the JK. Perfect for routing breakaway wire, and 12v battery direct outlet.
I broke down and ordered the Cooltech towed vehicle wiring kit for the JL/JT. The Hopkin's plug and play kit, that I had on the JK, is still not available for the Gladiator. I'm a little nervous about splicing into the new Jeep's wiring. But I do like the way the Cooltech kit has an isolation switch that separates the Jeep controlled lights from the RV controlled lights. Looks like a well thought out system. Plus, all the work is done at the passenger seat, and I don't have to string a wire to each taillight then all the way back to the front of the Jeep.
I think the new Jeep will get to go camping soon!

20200703_075336.jpg
20200703_103417.jpg
20200703_164020.jpg

Last edited:
Jeeps sure have changed over the years. We had an ex-military 1944 Jeep "MB" on the farm when I was a kid.

It got used as a utility vehicle and saw very little road use. As a 14-year-old, I was allowed to drive it on the property. The coolest thing was the lay-down windshield. Feeling the wind in your face at 20 mph was magical. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

Yes they have. This is our third Jeep since 2004. The windshield can still fold down on this new one too, but it will probably never happen.
Those vintage GPW Jeeps have always been my favorite. I may get one someday.

Cooltech wiring harness installed. Pretty easy. The instructions are very thorough and clear. Once you identify the 4 wires, you cut them and connect them to the harness.
20200724_091831.jpg
Everything is prepped for you. Heat shrink butt connectors, seat frame mount for the switch, and a replacement plug for the under seat drain hole to route the cable to the RV.
I mounted the light socket and breakaway switch on top of the bumper so they wouldn't get damaged off road.
cooltech 2.jpg

cooltech 1.jpg
20200724_155027.jpg

Last edited:
Maiden voyage in the books. It towed like a dream. Lights worked perfect. Happy camper. All it's missing is a diesel pusher!

elk ridge 13.jpg

20200731_124805.jpg
20200731_161422.jpg

Do you have any slop between the BlueOx connection and the Maximus3? I have about 1/4" of side to side movement on both of these, and it seem to be enough that the jeep will move about 6 inches left and right while towing behind me, depending on road conditions.

Its not as obvious as a nascar driver trying to warm up their tires, but it still is some movement. Just curious if yours did that at all.

Do you have any slop between the BlueOx connection and the Maximus3? I have about 1/4" of side to side movement on both of these, and it seem to be enough that the jeep will move about 6 inches left and right while towing behind me, depending on road conditions.

Its not as obvious as a nascar driver trying to warm up their tires, but it still is some movement. Just curious if yours did that at all.
The Blue Ox adapter ends came with 2 washers that take up that extra room using the Maximus tow bar mounts. Kind of an extra step, getting the washer in there while pushing the big pin through, but not hard.
My biggest concern is my old Aventa Lx tow bar. They have been discontinued for awhile now. I've seen some pics on the internet of that ball and socket thingy failing. I noticed some wear/slop on the smaller inside ball while disconnecting today. So, to be on the safe side, I just ordered a brand new tow bar!

I went out and took a pic of the washers that came with the adapters. These take up that extra space.

20200802_184644.jpg

Latest resources

Back